Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ISP  (Read 16224 times)

Offline JK

Re: ISP
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2008, 23:56 »
Hi All.
My last reply from Pipex was a request to give them my full details, due to the data protection act, according to them.
I have given them all my details and they already know them. Except for a account number which I do not know and cannot find out.
Since being on broadband I have only changed ISP once. The change being from Claranet to Pipex. The MAC code was given by Claranet
straight away over the telephone. They even made sure that I would not be billed by them again and even asked me to contact them if there was any problems.
I did in my last email to Pipex say the comment made by Simon that my cancellation period should start when I requested my MAC not when they decide to issue it.
I think that I only got my last reply from them because I said Ofcom in the mail.
Rik I did call IDnet about the free month offer at the time . They guy said its up to the managers if they continue it or offer it again.
Then again it does not matter as Pipex will not issue the MAC code.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2008, 11:27 »
Rik I did call IDnet about the free month offer at the time . They guy said its up to the managers if they continue it or offer it again.
Then again it does not matter as Pipex will not issue the MAC code.

If you told them you wanted to migrate, they should have 'booked you a slot' on the offer at the time. It really depends on what exactly was said.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline JK

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2008, 02:09 »
Hi Rik
I did contact IDnet about the free month offer at the time. There was no register an interest option. But there is not point if you are with the Hotel Califorinia of ISP's.You can check out any time but you can never leave.
Does anyone have a email addess for Ofcom? I have looked at the Ofcom site but they have postal and telephone options only.
Rik the free month was for February its now April . Yes its been that long. :(

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2008, 10:25 »
Oddly, JK, Ofcom don't seem to encourage email. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2008, 10:36 »
I think this just seems to be a case of very strong perseverance, JK.  I really can't understand why they would be refusing to give you your MAC.  Unless there's a good reason for NOT issuing it, they are breaking the law, and while Pipex may be a lot of things, they're not stupid, and they would know this.  I wish we could help you more with this, but there's nothing we can actually do, apart from offer you support and advice, which, of course, we are more than happy to do, and you are more than welcome to.  I would be getting on the phone to them, and don't hang up until they give you the MAC, there and then, or a VERY good reason why they can't.

:gofor:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline JK

« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2008, 01:19 »
Hi All
Got my mac code at last.
They issued it yesterday saying that it was valid for 25 days, no mention of the 30 day notice period was given.
Should I insist, if they question it, that it started when I requested my mac code, not when the issued it?
My only question is about ADSL Max speeds. Pipex put me on the equipment a few months ago(ISP connection fixed at 1M).
Each time I log on I see a different line connection speed, sometimes 5.7M another time 3.7M.
In the first 10 days of an adsl max service I understand you are given a line rate?. I thought that the equiptment would give you the best fixed rate ie 3.7M and stay there or does it increase it automatically? Or as I have been told that the 10 day period only fixes the lowest rate for fault reporting etc? Will an adsl max service have a fixed speed or will it always look for the highest speed.
Thanks for your help and advice.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2008, 03:11 »
Its usually monitored and adjusted automatically to find the fastest stable speed that your line can handle.
After the initial 10 day training period you should have a good idea of the maximum that you are going to get.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2008, 08:39 »
Now you have your MAC, you can register with your new ISP, and the migration usually takes about 3-5 working days.  You will be given the activation date when you register.  Are you still considering IDNet?  If you did register an interest in Feb, give them a call, explain the situation, and you may still get your free month.  If you didn't, then you probably won't.  Whatever you decide, do it as soon as possible, so as to get away from Pipex.  You can argue the case about the cancellation period later.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2008, 09:31 »
The so-called training period has limited significance, JK. However, what it does set in stone is the fault threshold rate, and in the future, unless your speed consistently drops below that figure, BT will not consider the line to have a fault.

In the first 10 days, therefore, ensure that you get the best possible sync speed by shutting down the router at night when you have finished computing, and powering up in the morning (when you will get the best sync speed). The actual line rate can be left to settle after the training period.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline JK

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2008, 10:04 »
Hi All.
I have read in a magazine about problems on ADSL Max lines that have a varying SNR margin causing intermitant sync losses.
This turns out in most cases to be caused, according to the magazine and on the internet, by routers using the AR7 chipset.
As most routers including mine use this chipset I would have thought that this problem would be more widely known.
Any of you come accross this?
I have SNR margin and sync loss problems, only though at peak internet usage times. Asked advice from IDNet they
said my problem is quite common for customers on Tiscali/Pipex network, and in most cases clears up on migration.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2008, 10:25 »
Hi JK,

Rik will explain better, but I think the thing with the AR7 chipset is over-hyped, as plenty of people use them with no adverse effects.  Obviously, though, we can't guarantee that there are no problems with your particular router. 

The advice from IDNet is worth taking.  They have had many, many customers who have come over from Pipex / Tiscali, and have experienced a much better service.  Of course, there's no cast iron guarantee of how your line will behave when on MAX, and occasionally there are issues in the BT realm, which are beyond the control of IDNet, but they do have very good contacts within BT and can usually sort out most problems, if they arise. 

If you refer to Rik's post earlier in the thread, this gives an indication of the speed you are likely to achieve on a MAX service.  If in doubt, give IDNet another call and talk it through with them, as they would be more qualified to deal with the ifs, buts, and maybes.  We can only advise here, on previous experiences.  :)

Hi JK

Max is a rate-adaptive service, [in other words], it will try and go as fast as your line can support. The single most critical factor in that is your downstream attenuation, which for you is 39db. At that level, I'd expect you to be achieving a sync speed of 5-6000kbps. The other factor though is the quality of the line and its susceptibility to noise, and that's much harder to quantify. I sync at around 3500 on a 56db attenuation. My neighbours sync at between 512k and 2000k, the attenuation figures are similar within +/-2db.

Normally, BT give you a target noise margin of 6db, and run the line as fast as possible with the margin. In your case, it looks like the dynamic line management software has found your line unstable at that speed and so increased the target margin to 9db. That will cost you about 500k of sync speed.

A shielded ADSL cable (RJ11-RJ11) may help, but the reason I suggested borrowing another router is that different makes work better with different lines, with a possible speed difference of 1000kbps or so. It also eliminates any possible fault with the router.

As Simon has said, you shouldn't have to re-train with a like-for-like migration. There is no fixed-rate 4Mbps service though, the fastest fixed rate product is 2Mbps.

You're very welcome to join IDNetters, as is everyone, but I'll always try to answer any questions here. Obviously, though I spend most of my time over there.

HTH

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2008, 11:55 »
What Simon said, JK. There may be an issue with noise, but until we remove the Tiscali overlay from the peak time problems, it's hard to know.

If you are seeing your noise margin drop below zero during the evening, and re-syncs follow that, then it's more likely to be local rather than network.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline JK

« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2008, 23:42 »
Hi All
Though I better tell you that I have ordered the IDNet service today.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2008, 23:58 »
Nice one, JK, let us know how it all goes.  :)

Offline JK

« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2008, 22:23 »
Simon and Rik
Though I better report back to you now that I am on IDNet.
Been on IDNet for two days, no ADSL max training at all. Followed Rik's advice turning off at bedtime.
Sync up each day at a high rate, today 5920 , this stays as the rate all day till I log off. My actual internet connection appears to be fixed at 2M.
I thought that Pipex may have placed me onto the ADSL Max equipment but I think that BT had. They have transferred all customers onto it. I was on a upto 2M line, hence my fixed rate. It appears that I have already been through the 10 day period with Pipex ( with the 2M cap). Hence the frequent re sync's then.
I do not know what to do, I am quite happy at having 2M connection as I have heard of horror stories on the net of people with 5M lines ending up with 256K. Any advice would be appricated.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum