Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: DVR Capacity Going to Skyrocket?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
DVR Capacity Going to Skyrocket?
« on: March 05, 2008, 19:36 »
TED 2008 is coming, but we stumbled upon an interesting nugget already. Rice University professor Scott Cutler believes that DVR capacity and technology is going to keep getting better.

Now, while this seems pretty obvious as technology tends to get better, he put some numbers on it.

By 2013, he believes DVRs will be able to record ten channels for 2 straight weeks. That's 24/7 recording on ten channels for two whole weeks. This amounts to 3,360 hours of recorded video.

We're hoping he's assuming this is all HD video, of course. You basically won't have time to watch anywhere near all of that content.

There might also need to be some innovation in how to get 10 simultaneous feeds, but we're sure they can crack that nut.

LINK

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: DVR Capacity Going to Skyrocket?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 20:24 »
Jesus, I hardly have time to watch 4 channels!!   :o
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 00:24 »
I have had to limit my 6 or 7000 channels to around 30 and struggle to find time to watch them.
My hard drives are filling up faster than I can wipe them after recording all the programmes  ::)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 00:42 »
I end up transferring stuff from the hard drives to DVD-RWs, in an effort to keep things chronological, but I still don't get round to seeing some things I recorded.  I don't know how you cope with all those channels, San, aren't they mostly repeats?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 03:19 »
No as its mainly films I watch off satellite Simon along with history and documentaries.
Dont forget I am not restricted to only what you get from the usual MR. Ripoff Murdoch and his sons products for the UK, the german, french, italian, spanish, scandinavian and other european satellites are al mainly available to me and most of the time the films are in english.
It can be hard finding out when somethings going to start and end, as the EPGs arent as good as Sky UK or Freeview.
I have some films on my hard drive from over 6 months ago that still havent been shown on Sky Box office yet as the UK seem to be behind the rest of europe for new film releases.

I just record them onto the sat boxes hard drive and my terrestrial boxes hard drive and if they get full, transfer them to my pcs.
Hopefully I will find time one of these years to watch some of them  :dunno:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 10:02 »
Hopefully I will find time one of these years to watch some of them  :dunno:

By which time, they'll probably be on terrestrial anyway!   ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 12:24 »
Some already have been Simon  ::)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum