Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: infected?  (Read 4369 times)

Offline sharon159

infected?
« on: March 10, 2008, 16:48 »
Last night I went into a blog, and right away a window popped up saying a virus detected. I did spybot, restore. On the taskbar is a red circle with an X in it. A window constantly pops up from it say my computer is infected. What can I do now to get rid of that. Help...

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: infected?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 18:04 »
Which antivirus software do you use Sharon? 

Offline sharon159

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 18:16 »
Avast..

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 19:01 »
Is it definitely Avast telling you there's a virus?  If so, turn OFF System Restore, then hopefully Avast will clear the virus for you.  It may be reappearing because System Restore is actually storing the virus as well.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sharon159

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 23:16 »
Ok...I did what you suggested, turned off the system restore, and ran the avg anti virus again..I still have the red circle on the task bar.  The constant reminder that my computer is infected, any other ideas?

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 23:20 »
what program is telling you this - i.e. what is the program in the task bar?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 00:31 »
Yes, is it AVG or Avast, Sharon, as you have mentioned both.  I'm just wondering if it's neither of these programs in the task bar, but instead, you have picked up some nasty spyware.  Nothing is asking you to pay to have it removed, is it?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 11:51 »
two anti virus progs running together....wont they clash

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 12:11 »
It's not generally a good idea, Baz, which is why we are trying to establish what Sharon is actually using, and what exactly is producing the alerts and task bar warning.

Offline sharon159

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 02:57 »
I still have the problem, even with trying different things todays. It doesn't really say what it is, no one is trying to sell anything. Just a red circle with an X in the middle of it. And...a window opens abover it every 30-40 secs tellling me my computer is infected.
I will try to work on it in the morning again..

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 08:05 »
I don't know Avast or AVG, but I would have thought if it was an official program telling you this, it would be obvious what the program is.  Can you post a screenshot of the 'virus' window, so we can see it?

My only other suggestion at the moment is to switch off system restore, then go into Safe Mode and run your virus / spyware scanners, and see if they can remove it that way.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 09:20 »
Yes, it definitely seems like spyware to me.  AVG warnings are very clear and you will be left in no doubt where the alert is coming from.   I would certainly download Ad-Aware which can be downloaded HERE for free.  Follow Simon's advice and run them in safe mode.  I also think you should decide which antivirus you want to use and delete the other.  Both AVG and Avast have a good reputation so it's not an easy decision. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 10:35 »
yep it does sound like spyware - no official program would act in this manner.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 11:08 »
Also, it may be worth checking in your Add / Remove Programs list, just in case there's something there you don't recognise.  It's doubtful, but if you're very lucky, it might just uninstall by the usual method. 

Offline sharon159

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 19:10 »
Ok...I am still here with the problem..
So...after looking in my programs Add/delete, there is no Avast. I do have AVG in my taskbar, also the red circle with the X in it, I am more confused now :dunno:
I will try to do the quick fix protocol on it, appreciate the help.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum