Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: system sound  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Baz

• Established Member
system sound
« on: April 01, 2008, 17:05 »
right heres one for you.

system was on yesterday but not doing anything. Me sitting at the desk somehow managed to rest my paperwork what I was doing on the keyboard and must have caught the volume button...up.......all the way up.

didnt remember to turn it down(forgot more likely   :dunno: ) then when one of my lads went on he put headphones on and nearly killed his eardrums   :D :D :D :D

anyway this has now made the sound flick from one channel to the other noticably more when using headphones. any ideas.

just onboard sound so nowt flash but spoils it now. its the same when using the front or back output jack

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: system sound
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 17:48 »
If it's the same when using different jacks, I suppose it's possible that the headphones have been damaged by the sudden high volume.  Best suggestion would be to try them on something other than the PC, Baz.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 20:20 »
tried that Simon and its ok  sorry forgot to mention it, also tried different headphones on the 'puter with same  result as first pair

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 21:24 »
Soooo, by a process of elimination, it's not the headphones, and as you've tried both front and rear sockets on the PC, it's not either one of those, so assuming they are both connected to the same sound card, it could be that (just try reseating it at first, it might just have some dust in the contacts), or possibly, does the speaker system on the PC have an external volume control?  Try wiggling that a bit, and see if it crackles.  Sometimes that's enough to dislodge any dust which might be in the switch.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 14:18 »
Thanks Simon will try those.

Just onboard sound though as said in first post  ;)

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 17:33 »
well this is getting strange. the rear jack is now ok but the front one same. had a look inside and the connector plug to the back of the front jack was slightly loose so thought it may be that, did a quick spring clean while had sides off, put back together but its still flicking about so starting to think the jack may be damaged, it has always been a bit tight to accept the plug from the headphones.

is it possible to get new front ports which may fit.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 18:29 »
You might be able to find a spare socket at Maplin or similar, Baz, if you can get at it to change it.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 15:40 »
You might be able to find a spare socket at Maplin or similar, Baz, if you can get at it to change it.

what exactly are these called  :)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 18:42 »
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 20:55 »
thanks Rik but i was looking for the part that goes in the computer, the front connections. It has a headphone, microphone and two usb connections

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 21:52 »
That's usually part of the case, Baz.  I've had a quick look on Maplins and CPC, but it's a bit of a needle in a haystack.  Do you have a computer shop locally?  I'm just wondering if it might be easier to pop in and explain what you need.  They may even let you have one going spare off an old case.  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum