Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Thinking of a new build...  (Read 29744 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Thinking of a new build...
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2008, 11:15 »
Sam, yes, netless sounds like a good idea to try it out.  The IDE drive I'm trying to install is just storage, and leaves the main local drive on the old machine.

Cam, not sure which long number you mean, but they are both called 'HOME', and no, nothing is seen in network connections.  :(

The repair shop wouldn't touch the broken SATA connectors, and recommended returning the mobo.  :bawl:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2008, 11:34 »
Sam, yes, netless sounds like a good idea to try it out.  The IDE drive I'm trying to install is just storage, and leaves the main local drive on the old machine.

oh ok, but I do think giving the network a go like that would do the trick... well I would expect it would, then again this sort of thing never fails me using a good os.  :devil:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2008, 11:54 »
:shuddup:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2008, 16:50 »
I think I may have rectified some of the network problems, by enabling the network card as Trusted through the software firewall, despite the warnings about it compromising security.  I can now view the workgroups screen without the error message, but that's as far as I've got at this stage.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2008, 17:00 »
It should be easy from there, Simon.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2008, 17:12 »
That's what you said yesterday!!  :bawl:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2008, 17:38 »
I reckon Clive's managed to curse me, probably with the help of that welsh witch, for taking the p**s out of him when he was on his deathbed.  ;D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2008, 17:43 »
Can you still not see the shares?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2008, 18:06 »
I haven't tried yet, Rik, and can't now till later this evening.  There is a worry though, that by allowing the 'Trusted Network', I may be opening up the whole thing to allow everything.  Without it enabled, I can't network, but with it enabled, the suggestion is that security is compromised.  Not sure what to do really, but I think I'll disconnect from the web, and enable everything tonight, just to try to get these files across.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2008, 18:16 »
I've never had this problem, but then I don't bother with a software firewall. It depends what is being defined as the network. If it's purely the LAN, you shouldn't have a security issue.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2008, 18:29 »
That's what I'm not sure about.  I've asked on Wilders, as they know more about specific brands.  I'll have another quick play later, but I could do without another hardened artery.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2008, 18:34 »
It's odd, because all I've ever done with a new machine is given it a name and assigned it to the workgroup.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2008, 18:43 »
Do they have to have different names?  I think both of mine are 'HOME'.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2008, 18:48 »
That's the workgroup, which needs to be the same. Each machine should have a unique name, eg main, desktop, laptop.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2008, 19:09 »
Yes, each computer has a unique name.  I'll give it a shot later, or a kick if it won't work.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum