Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Thinking of a new build...  (Read 29747 times)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Thinking of a new build...
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2008, 19:28 »
I find a stern talking to works. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2008, 19:35 »
That's the workgroup, which needs to be the same. Each machine should have a unique name, eg main, desktop, laptop.

they could be different workgroups, you would just have to navigate to a different directory.

And Si, seriously I'm pretty sure the software is only going on about the LAN and not the WAN. You will be safe!! :-D Anyway, doesn't your router have a firewall on that?

Oh and remember to have a shared directory...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2008, 22:10 »
Right, finally I've got somewhere.  I've managed to get both computers to see each other, by allowing the trusted network adapters, and making specific firewall rules.  All up and running and files currently transferring.  Bit difficult keep having to swapping keyboard, mouse and monitor from one machine to the other, but at least it's doing what I want now.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2008, 22:29 »
yay! ... you need a KVM is you are going to do that often, really worth it.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2008, 22:45 »
Good to hear all is well Simon.  That must be a relief!   :D

Offline cookiemonster

« Reply #155 on: April 23, 2008, 22:55 »
Woo Hoo!! Bet your regretting this build..

I'm about to order my parts next week so that should be fun!! Though I only need a new mobo, memory and case. My transition should be smoother....I hope ':|!!

cookiemonster formally known as "jester212"

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: April 23, 2008, 23:09 »
Good to hear all is well Simon.  That must be a relief!   :D

A relief??  It's a bleeding miracle!!   ;D

Woo Hoo!! Bet your regretting this build..

I'm about to order my parts next week so that should be fun!! Though I only need a new mobo, memory and case. My transition should be smoother....I hope ':|!!

Let me know if you need any help, Steve!   :devil:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2008, 21:27 »
Well, at long last, I'm writing this on the new PC!   :woo:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2008, 21:32 »
 :solved:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2008, 22:19 »
 :welldone:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2008, 00:06 »
Just one little annoyance at the moment.  I have an external USB hard drive, which I have been using to transfer files across.  If I start or reboot the PC with the EHD still switched on, the computer won't start, and won't even reach the Windows screen, until I switch off the EHD and restart again.  This didn't happen with the old PC, and I'm guessing it's a BIOS setting, but can anyone help?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2008, 00:59 »
Depends if theres an option for switching it off in the bios Simon.
I was looking at a pc yesterday that was doing the same, I couldnt find anywhere in the bios to stop it looking at the external drive before windows had loaded and if connected it would try and boot off it  :dunno:

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2008, 02:21 »
Just one little annoyance at the moment.  I have an external USB hard drive, which I have been using to transfer files across.  If I start or reboot the PC with the EHD still switched on, the computer won't start, and won't even reach the Windows screen, until I switch off the EHD and restart again.  This didn't happen with the old PC, and I'm guessing it's a BIOS setting, but can anyone help?
Don't bother with USB external hard drives, they are so slow! get a External eSATA Hard Drive Enclosure ,the speed will be similar to your internal hard drive.
You wont have any boot up problems either :)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2008, 06:48 »
Don't bother with USB external hard drives, they are so slow! get a External eSATA Hard Drive Enclosure ,the speed will be similar to your internal hard drive.

I don't agree with you there - I've got about 3 TB of external disks and they all run fairly speedily, though it probably helps that they are formatted to either EXT3 or NTFS.

Also I think Si isn't really intending to use it for too much apart from transferring files, are ya?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2008, 07:25 »
You wont have any boot up problems either :)

Gmax, can the eSata be be hot jumped? at the moment I have a Aerocool multi card reader/temp/fan control with sata sockets all wired up?

PS well done Si, are you sure the pins are correctly wired? does the USB work at all ?? I had a simular problem a while back and the pins that were jumpered, there was an extra ground pin that when disconected enabled the system to boot properly?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum