Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Jumpy Mouse  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
Jumpy Mouse
« on: March 15, 2003, 08:27 »
My new Chic 1310 Optical Mouse *I think that's right* jumps a lot. I have an identical one on my other PC and it works fine and I tried the old one on this PC and it does the same thing. My friend Big_Boss says it is the drivers however I downloaded the newest ones with no effect. Looking round the net I've found a forum where several other people have this problem. Any Help? ???

The PC Specs Are:
NEW
Athlon 2000XP
256Mb 133 SD RAM
18Gb HDD
32Mb TNT2 M64

OLD
Athlon 900MHz
512Mb 133 SD RAM
8Gb HDD
32Mb TNT2 Vanta

Both running Windows 2000 Professional and newest Nvidia Detonator drivers
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Jumpy Mouse
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2003, 09:27 »
Hi Robotochan!  This is just to say Welcome to PC Pals.  We hope you find the forum fun and useful.

Being a non-techie, I'm not going to try to answer your question, but I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2003, 09:30 »
I think it might be my PS/2 port as ball mice seem to have troubles move diagonally, but I can't try a USB mouse to try as nobody has one that I know, though if people agree with me I'll buy one and see  :)

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2003, 10:00 »
Well, I would hang on until one of our techies wakes up, and see what they say, but if you were to buy a USB mouse from somewhere like Dixons or PC World, and you were very careful not to damage the packaging, you could always return it as an 'unwanted gift', or something, and get a refund.   ;) ;)

Not that PC Pals would advocate such despicable use of a high street retailer, of course. ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2003, 11:36 »
Hi Robotochan, :welcome:

I think you've diagnosed the problem yourself - it sounds very much like there is a problem with the mouse port on your PC :(

However, before you decide to buy a USB mouse, it may be worth removing the mouse drivers from within Safe mode first. When you've done this reboot and let Windows detect and install the mouse drivers. See what happens ...

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2003, 12:33 »
Bah your idea didn't work  :( looks like it's gonna take that bit longer to get my DVD drive  :)

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2003, 13:50 »
Is your new PC on a bigger screen by anychance?
I have a Typhoon optical cordless mouse which worked fine on my old 14 inch screen.When I got a 17 inch screen it became erratic and appeared to lag if I moved about half way across the screen (I had also increased the screen resolution so this made half a 17 inch screen about the same distance as the full screen on my 14 inch monitor).
I found that by going into the control panel and opening the mouse properties and selecting the fastest speed it cured my problem.Maybe yours is a similar problem  ???
You said you tried your old one on the new one and thats still the same,have you tried your new mouse on the old pc to confirm that the mouse is ok on that one ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2003, 14:00 »
Yes, it might be worth checking the mouse settings in your Control Panel.  Also, did you install any software with the mouse, i.e. to allow it to perform extra functions?  Might be worth checking the settings there too.   :)

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2003, 14:21 »
strange things happen when you get angry with PCs. Thumped it down on my desk and it must have done something cause it's working fine now.

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2003, 19:33 »
Nice one robotochan

There's nothing like giveing something electrical a thump ... the tv repairmen always tried that first   lol  I think they knew something  ;)

Pleased you got it sorted cheaply  :)
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Marshall 73

• http://www.unitedonline.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2003, 22:21 »
it jumps becasue it is an optical mouse and also it uses a usb interface.

just reinstall the mouse drivers
arshall Mathers 4 Life
Man Utd 4 Ever
9/11 Never Forgotten

Adept

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2003, 00:05 »

Had you actually read the previous posts Marshall 73, you may have noticed that not only is the mouse a PS2, but the drivers had already been re-installed. You may also have noticed that hitting the mouse on the desk solved the problem. I'm not sure how re-installing the drivers would fix that ???

If you are going to offer advice, please make sure you have all the facts to hand.

Offline Hitch

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2003, 01:05 »
Had a mouse that did this too, USB means squat sept for when just starting a program it may freeze for a split second and dos is a no no to the best of my knowledge.

However my mouse had a speck of dust in the lens i blew it it was fixed, maybe the bang just did the same?

Offline Marshall 73

• http://www.unitedonline.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2003, 00:49 »

Had you actually read the previous posts Marshall 73, you may have noticed that not only is the mouse a PS2, but the drivers had already been re-installed. You may also have noticed that hitting the mouse on the desk solved the problem. I'm not sure how re-installing the drivers would fix that ???

If you are going to offer advice, please make sure you have all the facts to hand.

right mate, am, where should i start, i work on alot of forums, witch means i have little time for each one, witch also means i don't have time to read every single posts of every single thread, also there is soo much bull s**t on this forum that it is a waste of time reading everything.

Next, please don't talk about the advise i give, my life revolves around 3 things, Manchester United, Marshall Mathers and Windows OS. Witch has no secrets for me, i promis u that,
arshall Mathers 4 Life
Man Utd 4 Ever
9/11 Never Forgotten

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2003, 07:43 »
there is soo much bull s**t on this forum that it is a waste of time reading everything.

Maybe you would be better off sticking to your other forums, Marshall 73.  What you call bulls**t, we call friendly banter, which is just as important to us as tech talk, and that's the way we like it.   ;)

Edit: Just seen your 'Got Off On The Wrong Foot' post - thanks for that.  Let's try to keep things friendly, and hopefully we'll all get along.   :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum