Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Web users 'getting more selfish'  (Read 838 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Web users 'getting more selfish'
« on: May 25, 2008, 12:24 »
Web users are getting more ruthless and selfish when they go online, reveals research.

STORY

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Web users 'getting more selfish'
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 13:58 »
"Web users have always been ruthless and now are even more so," said Dr Nielsen.

"People want sites to get to the point, they have very little patience," he said.

"I do not think sites appreciate that yet," he added. "They still feel that their site is interesting and special and people will be happy about what they are throwing at them."

Web users were also getting very frustrated with all the extras, such as widgets and applications, being added to sites to make them more friendly.

I can perfectly understand that.  There are far too many unnecessary bells and whistles on websites, and in some computer programs.  Sometimes, you just want it to do what it says in the tin, and hopefully we've gone some way to achieving that with PC Pals.   :D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 14:48 »
I object to the terms ruthless and selfish. We go to a site for a reason, having achieved it we leave. What's so wrong in that? Emotive language without any justification, imo.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 15:10 »
I object to the terms ruthless and selfish. We go to a site for a reason, having achieved it we leave. What's so wrong in that? Emotive language without any justification, imo.

Hear hear!
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 15:49 »
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 16:10 »
There there.  :laugh:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 07:26 »
What is interesting to me is how corporate the internet has become. When it first got started people hosted up their websites voluntarily for the hell of it. They didn't do it with the singular purpose of raising ad revenue.

To me it's not selfish it's adaptive. It's the public building a resistance to the massive amount of crap being pumped out as webdesign since embedded ads first emerged.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum