Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Opera 9.5 browser released  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Opera 9.5 browser released
« on: June 12, 2008, 13:02 »
Opera Software has made the final public release of its new browser, Opera 9.5, available for download.

One of the key features in version 9.5 is Opera Link, which will synchronise the browser across several different devices such as mobile phones, desktops, PDAs and even Wii games consoles, keeping your bookmarks and other settings up-to-date.

Opera first started testing the latest build nine months ago and the release comes just days before Mozilla releases the full version of its Firefox 3 browser.

Another feature new to Opera 9.5 is Quick Find, designed to help surfers locate pages in their history just by typing a key word into their address bar. Firefox has a similar feature called the "Awesome Bar" built into its latest browser release.

Security against malware and phishing has also been strengthened in Opera 9.5.

Opera's Fraud Protection not only protects you from fraudulent websites, it is now the first browser publically available to protect you from malware and other malicious software on the web, " the company said.

Versions of Opera 9.5 are available for download from the Opera homepage for Mac, Linux and Windows platforms, in 30 different languages.

www.opera.com

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Opera 9.5 browser released
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 21:07 »
Tried it, couldn't get on with it, and couldn't import all my cookies and passwords from Firefox.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 21:51 »
its nice to have as a secondary webrowser for testing of sites.. but that's all I use it for. There was a time before firefox when it was my main... but those days are long gone.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 07:59 »
Tried it, couldn't get on with it, and couldn't import all my cookies and passwords from Firefox.

I agree Simon. If you could import all your favourites easily, I would probably use it.

if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:41 »
Oh, the Bookmarks imported OK, but it was the remembered passwords and stored cookies that were the issue for me, as it would have meant starting all over again with every website I needed to log in to.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 17:39 »
Yes-Ive just tried again with the new release. Bookmarks did import Simon, as you say, but it seemed as slow as A------s.   :bartmoon:

Not my cup of tea at all.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 18:35 »
I keep IE, Opera and FF on my machines, I use FF by choice. There's something about Opera that I just can't get on with.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 18:37 »
I keep IE, Opera and FF on my machines, I use FF by choice. There's something about Opera that I just can't get on with.

I know the feeling! It dosent seem user friendly to me.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 21:22 »
Agreed.  I suppose it could be got used to, but with Firefox so accessible, what's the point?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum