Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: A great description of the new internet DNS flaw you've heard so much about  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021

Offline sam

• Administrator
not so sure its a great description, but informative at the least.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
It's certainly a long description!   ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
We lost our internet for 2 hours tonight before admitting defeat and phoning our ISP. Had to phone a friend to get their number as we didn't have the internet to look it up.

It had to do with the DNS, and after reading that, I'm even more confused.  :crazy:

Michael said they had to change something (from ppp to tpp or something) in the network extension, in the modem. It's all bloody chinese to me. (no offense to the chinese)
Those who can make you believe absurdities,
can make you commit atrocities.

Offline gmax

• Established Member
We lost our internet for 2 hours tonight before admitting defeat and phoning our ISP. Had to phone a friend to get their number as we didn't have the internet to look it up.

It had to do with the DNS, and after reading that, I'm even more confused.  :crazy:

Michael said they had to change something (from ppp to tpp or something) in the network extension, in the modem. It's all bloody chinese to me. (no offense to the chinese)
Don't you have dialup as a backup? i thought most ISP's provided that service free.

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
I didn't know that, gmax, I'll have to have a look. Had a look on the Whirlpool forum, and there are a lot of complaints about TPG, started to email the rep, but it failed to send and I lost the the whole email, but it did tell me that the network connection failed, which is what I was bloody complaining about.  :brickwall: :censored:

Offline gmax

• Established Member
I didn't know that, gmax, I'll have to have a look. Had a look on the Whirlpool forum, and there are a lot of complaints about TPG, started to email the rep, but it failed to send and I lost the the whole email, but it did tell me that the network connection failed, which is what I was bloody complaining about.  :brickwall: :censored:
This is a para from the TPG T&C regarding backup dialup:

8.0 Additional Terms and Conditions for Specific Packages
Back-up dial-up Service
8.1 A back up dial-up Service (via a standard modem supplied by the Customer) is available in the event of an ADSL fault and is charged at $1.10 per hour, and is available with the following packages: Broadband Value, Home Unlimited 256, Unlimited 256, 512, 1500, Biz Broadband 1500 and SDSL Unlimited 512. However ADSL packages with a 56K back-up dial-up will incur additional call connection charges and the Customer will continue to be responsible for all charges from the Customer’s telephone network provider. When you utilise the dialup backup service, you are agreeing to TPG’s Dialup Terms and Conditions.

The link to this is : www.tpg.com.au/terms_conditions/adsl.php

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
That's great, your ADSL fails because of an error with their proxies and you have to pay extra for their back up, dial up.  ':|

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
This is the first computer I have had without a dial-up modem.  My ISP doesn't offer that service anyway.  :(

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
You should get a proper ISP, Clive. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline gmax

• Established Member
That's great, your ADSL fails because of an error with their proxies and you have to pay extra for their back up, dial up.  ':|

Yes that's pretty stingy charging you for  dialup backup, I'm with "Adam" the dialup backup is free, as it should be with all ISP's.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
You should get a proper ISP, Clive. ;)

Oh, Rik never misses a chance!  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Open the door and...  ;D
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Yes that's pretty stingy charging you for  dialup backup, I'm with "Adam" the dialup backup is free, as it should be with all ISP's.

Never heard of "Adam", except for some silly story I heard when I was a kid.  ::) (thinking about apples, I should have gone to the greengrocer, only one left.)

What are their deals like?

Offline gmax

• Established Member
Never heard of "Adam", except for some silly story I heard when I was a kid.  ::) (thinking about apples, I should have gone to the greengrocer, only one left.)

What are their deals like?
I think they only available in SA & NT, but their plans are good,  http://www.adam.com.au/products_home_adam_direct.php

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum