Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Online spending hits record levels  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Online spending hits record levels
« on: August 12, 2008, 13:58 »
A report from price-comparison service uSwitch.com has predicted that 19 per cent of overall retail sales in the UK in 2008 will be made online.

This figure will rise to 44 per cent by 2020, the report said, with online sales already at record levels for the first half of 2008.

Despite a 3.9 per cent decline in retail sales in June 2008, online shopping sales for the first half of this year totalled a £26.5bn.

uSwitch said that the convenience of online shopping, coupled with the bargains that can be found on the web, had captured the UK public's imagination.

Steve Weller, communications expert at uSwitch.com, said: "Broadband prices are falling while speeds are getting faster, making it cheaper and simpler for consumers to log on instead of going out to the shops.

"Online security has vastly improved so our peace of mind is greater than ever before. The internet makes it easy to shop around at maybe 40 or 50 different stores in one go to make sure that we are getting the best deals," he continued.

Over 40 per cent of those questioned said they bought books online, while 36 per cent said they bought clothing and accessories over the web.

www.uswitch.com

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Online spending hits record levels
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 15:23 »
Online security has vastly improved so our peace of mind is greater than ever before.

I beg to differ.  There seem to be more and more cases of credit card fraud these days, most of which originate from online usage.  Online security NEEDS to vastly improve.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 15:40 »
Seconded, Simon. There's a need for massive improvements.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 17:25 »
Recently, I've had a mini-spate of interrnet shopping but most from sites I've used previously.  I now have only one item outstanding and that is a flatbed negative scanner I've ordered from a company with the unlikely name of Oyyy whom I had not heard of.  I found them by using the comparison site Kelkoo and they were the cheapest.  I only ordered it yesterday and I have just had an e-mail to say it's been despatched. 

Memo to self:  Must stop internet shopping.  ;D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 17:29 »
I have no problems with the buying, Clive, it's the security of my card details that troubles me. Two sets of fraudulent use in 3 months. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 17:35 »
Oh that's bad luck Rik.  I've had mine stolen twice but by phone transactions.  Thankfully my card company spotted it before I did on each occasion.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 17:51 »
I've had one 'physical' steal (Shell station) and two online, Clive. Barclaycard spotted the physical one, but missed the most recent two. Even when I contacted them, they weren't over keen on stopping the card on the second one. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 21:22 »
They say filling stations and restauarants are the most likely places you will get your card details stolen.   >:( 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 21:28 »
Shell had issues a while back, and it's long been known to be inadvisable to let a waiter in a restaurant take your card away.  On the rare occasions I do eat out, I always make sure I have enough cash on me these days.

Oh, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has trouble spelling restaurant, Clive!  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 22:35 »

Oh, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has trouble spelling restaurant, Clive!  ;)

A mere typo old chap.  ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 23:05 »

yeah, he thinks it has a z in it.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 23:25 »
I buy a lot of books, computer, and vw bus parts online. Mostly just use bigger stores to minimize the pesky security problems. I like to buy books online. Go to amazon and they display the same book from used bookstores throughout the area. That can't be beat for competition and convenience. Beats the hell out of traveling all over the countryside to find the little used bookstores, especially with gas prices the way they are.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 23:29 by Reno »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 00:30 »

I went to all the trouble of ticking a box to enable the spellchecker, and do they use it??  Do they hell!   :laugh:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum