Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: HELP!!! HDD PROBLEM  (Read 2482 times)

Offline timk153

HELP!!! HDD PROBLEM
« on: March 22, 2003, 23:52 »
i can't get a HDD to work on my pc. I am running a pc on a GA-BX2000+ motherboard by Gigabyte, i have support for about up to 10Gig HDD's on my machine, the HDD i wanna install is a WD600 which is 60Gig, i have supposidly updated my bios to take the HDD but it is still not being detected as a WD600 as it should be, so i am unable to use it's full capasity, what can i do to make my system accept this HDD?

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Re:HELP!!! HDD PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 00:04 »
Welcome to the forum timk153. I am no techy but I am sure someone will help you shortly.  :)
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 01:12 »
I had a similar problem with a Seagate 40 gig on my old PC.It wouldnt see it at all.There was a disc management utility on the seagate site that enabled me to use it to its full capacity,have you looked on the Western Digital one for a utility which may do the same?
I recently had to update the bios as XP wouldnt install while using the utility although mine is only a 40 gig drive its supposed to take up to 65 gig now.
What size is your update supposed to enable it to see?

Offline timk153

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2003, 08:45 »
it's suppost to enable it to see up to a 75Gig HDD. i will have a look on WD's site and see if i can find something similar, thanx.

Offline Marshall 73

• http://www.unitedonline.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 19:12 »
mate, i got a suggestion for up, get rid of the s**t u have and get up to datz
arshall Mathers 4 Life
Man Utd 4 Ever
9/11 Never Forgotten

Offline timk153

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 19:20 »
hey, my system does what i want it to do and thats all i need, i will get up to date when i feel like it man, it will probably be sometime soon, i don't like to behind on updating, but i will do it when i feel like it. >:(

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 19:57 »
Could the replies be more constructive and less derogatory please. :) I also don't like to see expletives on the boards, even if it is filtered, please refrain from such use  :-\

Please remember that some people don't have lots of finances to play with, or don't need to update the hardware as what they have is sufficient for the purpose.
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Gemini

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 19:59 »
Well said timk153, if it does what you want it to do there's no need for more expense. :)
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/gemsig2.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline timk153

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2003, 20:15 »
well still no luck, the WD web site was terrible, couldn't find a thing to help me, i sent them an e-mail a few days ago but have recieved no reply, i should be more patient, but if anyone else has any good idea's that would be good.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2003, 20:23 »
What a lovely sig Gemini.  Nice to see your pic again.   ;D

Offline Gemini

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2003, 20:25 »
Thanks Clive, I think I've been odd one out for too long  ;)
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/gemsig2.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2003, 20:29 »
You havent said which OS you are using or whether this is a single drive or a secondary one.
If it is the primary drive can you use Fdisk and make it into multiple partitions?
I would suggest trying 2 x 30 gig initially and if still no luck try more partitions at a smaller size.
A better solution (although I cant remember how much they cost)would be to get a PCI card which has an IDE controller on it with its own BIOS so that would allow up to 120 gig.
Unfortunately I cant remember what they are called or where I have seen them but I am sure Adept or Bat will know the type of thing I mean.
Hope you find this more helpful than Marshalls suggestion  :-*

Adept

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2003, 20:36 »
timk153, try this software from WD

You should be able to use it to get your PC to accept the drive with a 60Gig partition :)

Offline timk153

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2003, 20:41 »
well i'm using XP home, it's a secondary drive, adn i think i might get an EIDE controller card, i hope there not to much, i will have to look. thanx.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2003, 20:57 »
This one on Western Digitals own shop on their site sounds like it would do :

Ultra100 TX2 Controller for 66Mhz PCI Bus and support for drives larger than 137 GB

$29.95

In Stock: Yes  

Description:
Ultra100 TX2 is the first Ultra ATA/100-capable controller card for 66Mhz PCI motherboards. Ultra100 TX2 supports up to four lightning-fast UDMA/100 drives or any combination of UDMA/100, UDMA/66 or older EIDE/ATAPI devices. The card?s two IDE ports offer separate device timing to permit user to attach different speed drives and/or devices to the same channel without adversely affecting the device speed. Each device will run at their highest-rated speed. Ultra TX2 is fully backward compatible with common 33Mhz PCI bus motherboards and older UDMA/66/33, EIDE, and ATAPI technologies. It co-exists with onboard IDE ports to support multiple devices.

Probably cost the same in £s here as in $s in the states  ::)
There must be other makes around though that may be cheaper  :-*

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum