Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Hubble Takes First Visible Light Image of Extrasolar Planet  (Read 1898 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
nuts... there goes my career - I'm trying todo a similar thing at radio wavelengths...

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/11/13/hubble-take-first-visible-light-image-of-extrasolar-planet/

Persistence has paid off for astronomer Paul Kalas. After eight years and taking repeated photographs with the Hubble Space Telescope of a nearby star, he finally has what he and many astronomers have been striving for: the first visible-light snapshot of a planet outside our solar system. This coincides with the announcement of the first time astronomers have taken pictures of another multi-planet solar system, using the Gemini and Keck Telescopes. Kalas has been studying the star Fomalhaut, located about 25 light years from Earth, for several years. He knew the planet was there, because its perturbations were evident in the ring of gas and dust surrounding the star. The planet is probably close to the mass of Jupiter, and it orbits Fomalhaut at a distance about four times that between Neptune and the sun. Formally known as Fomalhaut b, the planet could have a ring system about the dimension of Jupiter's early rings, before the dust and debris coalesced into the four Galilean moons. Learn more in the video below…
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Hubble Takes First Visible Light Image of Extrasolar Planet
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 09:38 »
Hire an assassin!   :devil:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:02 »
 :ouch2:  That's bad news Sam.  I saw the pictures on TV this morning.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 10:12 »
oh well, at least I discovered a stellar pulsar yesterday... so I can't moan too much!  ;D
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 10:29 »
oh well, at least I discovered a stellar pulsar yesterday... so I can't moan too much!  ;D

Is that what you call it!  ;D :devil: ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 10:52 »

Not too many of those around! 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 12:49 »
indeed, a nice addition to the thesis really... I'm hoping to have it submitted before the year is out... I'm also hoping to have written another 3 papers (so 5 in total from 3.5 years work isn't too bad!)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 15:14 »
Nice to see we are getting good value for money Sam.   ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum