Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Adobe Reader 'is the new IE'  (Read 566 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Adobe Reader 'is the new IE'
« on: February 26, 2009, 18:25 »
A security expert has questioned the popularity of Adobe Reader after Adobe said a security flaw in the software would not be fixed until 11 March.

Mikko Hypponen, of Finnish security firm F-Secure, said that Adobe Reader had become the new Internet Explorer in a withering attack.

Some older versions of Internet Explorer, such as IE6, were notoriously insecure and buggy.

"I find it a bit confusing how commonplace Adobe Reader has become. For some reason everybody seems to be using it for reading PDF files. Even though there are plenty of free alternatives. And the alternatives are much smaller and faster. And start up in under a minute," Hypponen said.

"From my point of view, Adobe Reader has become the new IE. For security reasons, avoid it if you can," he continued.

The flaw in Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat was found last week though Adobe said it would take some three weeks to ready a patch for the vulnerability.

In the meantime, users should disable Javascript in the software, Adobe said.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Adobe Reader 'is the new IE'
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 18:28 »
Deep joy!   :bawl:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 18:32 »
I once admired Adobe. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 22:58 »
Have been using Foxit for the last couple of years.  Would never go back to Acrobat.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum