Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Sixty percent of the world uses mobile phones  (Read 753 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Sixty percent of the world uses mobile phones
« on: March 03, 2009, 22:16 »
About 60 percent of the world's population now use mobile phones, with approximately 4.1 billion mobile-phone subscriptions annually, according to a United Nations survey. The figures reveal an increase from around one billion users in 2002.

The International Telecommunication Union, a UN agency, publishes its ICT Development Index as a regular comparison of the technology development in 154 countries. It forms part of the international development index.

According to the latest ITU report, published on Monday, more than 60 percent of the world's citizens now own a mobile phone, due in part to a jump in use in poor, developing countries.

The report also found that internet use had roughly doubled, with use of the internet now at approximately 23 percent of the world's population, up from 11 percent in 2002.

But use among poorer nations is still low, with only one in 20 people in Africa, for example, having access to the internet. Globally, 23 out of 100 people used the internet at the end of 2008, but the "digital divide" between rich nations and poorer nations persists, according to the report.

The report also found that the cost of ICT relative to general national prosperity was lowest in Singapore, the US, Luxembourg, Denmark, Hong Kong, United Arab Emirates, Taiwan, Sweden, Norway and Finland.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Sixty percent of the world uses mobile phones
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:20 »
IIRC, there are more mobiles than people in the UK.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:44 »
I wonder how many people on this forum don't have one.  Me, for a start.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:45 »
I have two.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:52 »
I have about half a dozen, but I only use one at a time.  ;D  I'd be totally lost without mine.  It's my phone, diary, address book, and access to forums during the day.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 13:38 »
I have only one but it's about 10 years old and quite enormous.  I have no plans to update it.   :D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 14:43 »
I only have two because we used to work at a location where only Vodafone worked, whereas our contract phones are with Orange.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum