Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Pirate Bay Organisers Fined And Sentenced To Gaol  (Read 659 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Pirate Bay Organisers Fined And Sentenced To Gaol
« on: April 17, 2009, 13:25 »
Story here.

They were never going to get away with it, especially after being so vocal about their contempt for lawyers.  Contrary to some press reports, they haven't been gaoled yet - in Sweden, their incarceration will not commence until any appeals have been exhausted.  And they're bound to appeal.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Pirate Bay Organisers Fined And Sentenced To Gaol
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 15:11 »
and have announced that they will appeal.

I think this is a very sad day for the freedom of the internet, though I can understand why people would want to get them the problem will not go away by convicting a few. Simple solution for the music industry - wake up to the modern age... make things easier and cheaper, we are all aware of the costs of producing and the major profits they make (which don't make there way to the artists..).
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 16:04 »
I think The Pirate Bay are merely being made examples of.  By dishing out the harshest sentences, I guess the courts hope that it will scare other torrent sites into voluntary closure.  It won't.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:19 »
They're just trying to send a message. They know it'll be overturned on appeal. This is just the bubbling of a sinking ship.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 07:57 »
Pirate bay is old hat? there are newer ways now.

The pirate bay saga will run & run for years  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum