Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: a new laptop  (Read 1696 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
a new laptop
« on: April 12, 2009, 13:35 »
I'm looking to buy a new fairly good spec laptop - I'm looking at something between 15 - 17" (I've already gotten an 8 and 11" model) for my two year stay in Canada... I've done a bit of hunting an currently thing that I've found one I like but does anyone have any suggestions / know of good websites that compare laptops etc or reviews or things like that?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: a new laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 13:55 »
Scan are a good place to buy from, Sam (http://www.scan.co.uk/), and of course, Ebuyer have customer reviews for a lot of their products.  Review Centre might be another useful place to look.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 15:24 »
thanks :-D - its been a while since I've bought a laptop that wasn't a mac or small.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 18:41 »
 I got two at christmas. One of these for my wife from Ebuyer.its not exactly this model but dont think they do it anymore. Im not a fan of Ebuyer as people over at  Netters will tell you  ;) http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/series/Satellite-L300D-series/150088/ Its a decent laptop,solid build and the wife loves it.

I also got one of these http://www.simplyasus.com/ASUS_X59GL-AP007C_.;_Intel%C2%AE_C2D_T5800_Pr_450683.html from this place. very good service from these over the phone, kept one reserved for me until I was sure I wanted it and got next day delivery as it says on the site. Of the two I got I think this Asus one is better. Never had a Asus laptop before but the quality is very good. Good package too with back up discs, good manual and quick set up info etc. overall very good.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 18:48 »
We are getting one of THESE for our society.  The build is supposed to be very good and the company has a showroom in Bristol so you can see before you buy.  

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:46 »
Newegg.com is what I use, but its a California based company. Next time I go to buy a laptop I'll get one from there.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 16:51 »
thanks all for the input... still undecided! :-D I think I'm edging towards an Acer I saw in pcworld (I like the change to get to be hands on with the keys etc) but who knows - will let you know what I decide!

BTW the Toshiba that you suggested Baz was on my list.

Clive - that company looks quite swish, but I can't be arsed to go down to Bristol :-D
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 17:38 »
QVC are doing an 18" w/s Acer today, Sam. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 17:47 »
Linky?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 17:48 »
Here if the link works, QVC's often don't... Plays Bluray and has built in surround sound, btw.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 18:31 »
looks good but I'm not sure I can cope with something quite that large! I was looking at something similar specked but 15"
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 18:32 »
..might have to have a think - it was everything I'd like and blueray could be handy
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 19:09 »
awful having to make these decisions isnt it  :D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum