Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows 7 to come without IE  (Read 555 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Windows 7 to come without IE
« on: June 12, 2009, 17:23 »
Microsoft will not include Internet Explorer in European versions of Windows 7 when the operating system launches later this year.

Windows 7, which will launch on 22 October, is Microsoft's replacement for Windows Vista, which like previous versions of Windows had the Internet Explorer browser built in.

Microsoft's decision comes after previous run-ins with the European Commission over what the EC sees as monopolistic practices.

Other browser vendors such Mozilla and Opera have complained that by bundling IE with Windows Microsoft gains an unfair advantage in the market.

"We're committed to making Windows 7 available in Europe at the same time that it launches in the rest of the world but we also must comply with European competition law as we launch the product," said Dave Heiner of Microsoft.

The company described the decision to leave Internet Explorer out of Windows 7 as "the best path forward".

The European Commission cautiously welcomed the move but said it "could be negated by other actions by Microsoft".

Microsoft was fined £765m last year after the EC decided that bundling IE and Windows Media Player in Windows stifled competition.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Windows 7 to come without IE
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 17:45 »
It's getting better!  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 21:17 »
I don't really think it matters. IE is like notepad. You could say including notepad was monopolistic too.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 21:18 »
I don't know where I would be without notepad.  At least it's useful! 

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:04 »
I wonder if you won't be able to download OS updates unless you do so through MS IE?

:devil:

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum