Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: UK's National Portrait Gallery Threatens To Sue Wikipedia User  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Boring pics anyway.  :)x
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Thanks for that, Sam.  It's of enormous importance within the art world because so much art is now 'derivative' work, or as the rest of us would say, 'plagiarised'.  A few years ago I sought to enrol on an arts foundation course, hoping it would improve my drawing techniques.  At the interview I was shocked and dismayed to learn that drawing was not part of the syllabus.  Students were expected to look at photos on the internet and manipulate them to produce something they could claim as their own, preferably translating it into another medium.

In many ways, I hope the National Portrait Gallery goes ahead and sues the downloader - there are many images which are now out of copyright and which art galleries should make available so that proper artists can learn from them.  I'm certain the Gallery would lose in a court of law.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
I just dont see why the person didn't just make a link in the wiki article to the online versions that the national portrait gallery has...
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum