Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: 111  (Read 796 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« on: July 12, 2009, 15:08 »
THE department of health last night unveiled a non-emergency alternative to 999 for the thousands of people who call in everyday to say their leg feels funny.

The 111 number, chosen to match the numeracy level of its most likely users, will be manned by professional operatives who will use small words to explain why no-one is going to come to your house because your knee is making that weird clicky noise again.

Martin Bishop, an ambulance dispatcher from Knutsford, said: "It's very simple. If you're well enough to list your symptoms, you don't need an ambulance.

"Call back when you're unconscious, or can see a bright light at the end of a long tunnel."

Officials stress the 111 service is not designed to replace NHS Direct and its key function of keeping you on hold for an hour before telling you to go to your GP.

However the new service will offer a range of ringtones, hangover cures and will even advise on the nearest cock and fanny clinic to your postcode.

If successful, GP provision could be similarly overhauled, with surgeries replaced by a vending machine dispensing tamiflu, anti-depressants and contraceptive pills and a mechanical arm that pats patients on the head while saying 'there, there, that must be awful' in a soothingly robotic voice.

Holly Turnbull, 23, from Carlisle said: "I really hurt my finger yesterday. I would have called an ambulance but I couldn't dial because, like I say, I really hurt my finger."

Daily Mash
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: 111
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 18:20 »
 :pmsl:

Offline mistybear

• Forum Fanatic
Re: 111
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 11:34 »
 :rofl:
Those who can make you believe absurdities,