Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Firefox not saving cookies  (Read 2440 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
Firefox not saving cookies
« on: October 03, 2009, 15:32 »
Hi Guys as stated above I have to log in to all sites each time i use them (has only happened recently). Checked the cookies folder which is virtually empty apart from google and pc pals !! even pals asks me to log in each time. Passwords are all remembered so i don't have to type them out each time but it's still annoying. FF is set to remember history using custom settings. I haven't set it to clear cookies or history on close down. I updated from v 3.0.14 to 3.5.3 to see if that helped which it didn't. Any ideas ?

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Firefox not saving cookies
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 15:43 »
Get hold of the CookieCuller addon. You can then selectively protect or remove cookies. Do you have any other cleanup utility acting at shutdown?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 17:24 »
Is FF set to clear cookies after each session, Dave?  Failing that, as Rik said, do you have anything such as CCleaner running in the background, or at startup / shutdown?  Something is obviously clearing the cookies.  We just need to find out what.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 19:04 »
there is a new feature in that version of FF which doesnt save anything at all, it might have been enabled by mistake from Tools>Start Private Browsing.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 19:49 »
Thanks for the replies all, but I don't have anything cleaning up at shut down and FF definitely isn't set to clear cookies on shutdown and i'm not using private browsing. Even stranger is that the cookies can be there one minute (i've been checking after visiting certain sites) if i browse away then go back i have to log in again. When i check the cookies sure enough they've disappeared. Seems very strange that they can disappear even within the same session. Equally odd is that the only cookies that seem to persist are some google ones and the pc-pals (2 of them) although i still have to log in each time. I can't pinpoint the start of the problem but probably quite recent. I think i might have to uninstall FF and start again, there's clearly something amiss.  ':|

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 19:53 »
Does the same happen in another browser, such as IE or Sea Monkey, Dave?  The answer to that might determine if it is FF, or something else in your machine.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 20:53 »
is this any help

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 21:55 »
@ Baz and Simon

Thanks guys for the ideas. I've uninstalled and reinstalled FF but problem persists. I'll try IE as you suggest Simon. Baz i'd googled and discovered your suggestion which i'll also try. I'm fairly sure that one of my malware programs is killing the cookies but not sure which one or why it has just started doing it. I'll get back tomorrow when i get chance to try out your ideas.  :thumbs:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 22:32 »
Problem solved apparently ! Baz's idea worked i.e. a corrupt cookie folder was the culprit. rename the .sqlite file to .tmp. I presume a brand new sqlite folder is then created. Anyhow it worked so thanks to Baz  Simon and Rik.  :thumbs:

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 08:24 »
pleased you got it sorted Dave  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I hate the problems that get you stumped like that but its great to solve them.

nice one :)

Smiley fixed - Simon.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:17 by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:17 »
Nice one, Baz!  :welldone:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 11:47 »
I'd give you a karma, Baz, but we're in the wrong place. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 19:45 »
thanks all............

a karma IOU will do Rik  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum