Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PSU Noise?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Big_Boss

PSU Noise?
« on: April 12, 2003, 01:47 »
Hi,
Got my new PSU a few weeks ago along with my pc upgrade and tonight it has started to make a wierd buzzing sound. It sounds like the fan isnt spinning fast enough or something similar.

Has anyone had this problem of knows how to resolve it?

Ant help appreciated.

Boss

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:PSU Noise?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 02:13 »
Hi BB,have you definitely identified that it is coming from the PSU?
Can you feel any vibration in part of the case as it may be something thats slackened off a little and being allowed to resonate.
It may just be a noisy transformer,I have had some doorbell transformers that were quiet for a week or so then developed a buzzing noise as the bits between the plates seem to dry out and slacken off a litle allowing them to vibrate.Doesnt do any harm just annoying when its a constant buzzing noise  ???

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2003, 09:00 »
Hi BB

Going on from what Sandra has said, you really have to do a little detective work trying to find the noise, as it can be something completely different creating the noise.

Sometimes it can be the sides of the PC case resonating... a good way to stop this is to use a large bit of bluetac, and place it in a suitable location to wedge between the case side and the frame, thus damping the resonance .... I like cheap solutions  ;)
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline Big_Boss

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2003, 14:41 »
Solved the problem  ;D

Delved into the PC case today and found out straight away what was going wrong. There is a sticker stuck to the middle of the fan. Somehow this had came look and had plonked itslsef onto one of the fan blades and every time the was going round it was scraping of the grating of the PSU case.

Im just glad it was something simple. :)

But thanks for the suggestions anyway  ;)

Boss

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 15:04 »
Glad it turned out to be easy and ,best of all,a cheap solution BB  ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum