Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Climate Change - The Unreported Story?  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: Climate Change - The Unreported Story?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 04:32 »
Water vapour is a greater problem as far as greenhouse gasses go but I dont think they can tax us on that. The warmer it gets then the higher the percentage of water that can exist in the atmosphere, up to a maximum of around 4% in the tropics.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 15:08 »
Water vapour is a greater problem as far as greenhouse gasses go but I dont think they can tax us on that. The warmer it gets then the higher the percentage of water that can exist in the atmosphere, up to a maximum of around 4% in the tropics.

That's not quite true - eventually it leaves the atmosphere.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 00:55 »
Not all of it, apart from the very arid areas of the planet. Anywhere that there is any humidity at all then there is water vapour.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 01:03 »
you don't have to tell a physicist that.

I meant eventually as in a few millions years... before I was a radio astronomer I was a planetary atmosphere/solar wind interaction simulator. In the case of Mars for example its lack of magnetic field caused the atmosphere to be blown off much quicker. 
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 01:18 »
Sam, you don't need to couch such a personal problem in scientific terms.  Just admit that you used to eat baked beans with everything but nobody would let you into such a confined area as an observatory.  Since you changed your diet, your career has flourished (although the Brits did banish you to Canada so that you could prove you are a reformed character).

;D
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 01:56 »
 :rofl:

I think all of us astronomers get banished at some point to go prove ourselves.. then we are allowed back to work at British Universities.

Most of the observatories I visit are fairly large, though you never wanted to go to the Wast Hills one after you had a curry..... especially with me. I've cleared the place in 10 seconds before. 

... little do they still know I eat baked beans, muhahaha.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum