Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: wireless drops every few weeks  (Read 2985 times)

Offline vidaliab

wireless drops every few weeks
« on: December 26, 2009, 01:06 »
hey guys. i can be on the computer and i use a lnynx router from my hubby's computer. then it just stops connecting to the internet for a couple of days. and then just comes back( i can still connect if i hook up my modem. I would like to do away with my service and just network off of his but i cant seem to keep the connection thru his router. whet can you do to help me on this?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re: wireless drops every few weeks
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 02:32 »
Hi vidaliab and :welcome:

WiFi can be a bit flaky at times. Earlier this week I went to someones house whose WiFi had stopped working. It was fine when I set it up for him initially but hed moved the pc from one side of the room to the other and couldnt get a signal. I turned the pc round through 90 degrees and it connected again. There must have been some metal in the wall it was now against that was shielding the signal in that location.

You could possibly try a different WiFi adaptor, change the location of the pc or get a pair of HomePlugs that allow an ethernet connection  through the mains wiring.

The first ones on this page look quite good value at the moment, if you decided to go for that option :

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/Solwise_HomePlugs.html#a23

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 09:18 »
:welcome:

Is it a laptop with the failing connection?  If so, it happens to me occasionally, and a reboot usually sorts it.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 09:25 »
Wireless phones sometimes comflict with the wireless routers. Your connection can be slowed down if not stop completely until the router is reset. A friend of mine here in texas charges to have a generic based linux bios installed on the locally bought routers. The linux bios lets you tweak the signal strength well over legal limits. You can spread a wifi connection 3 or 4 blocks before you begin to get a weak signal.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 11:30 »
 :welcome:

Can you run an ethernet cable to the router to establish whether than works if wireless doesn't. If it does, you know exactly what problem you are trying to solve. The causes can be legion, but I'd start with changing the wireless channel on the router to 1, 11 or 6. That can often be enough to cure the problem. Failing which, try a spare router if you can.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline vidaliab

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 16:07 »
ok. i went to see check out the router and now that computer will not connect to the internet. it appears i am totally clueless with computers.Three computers and now only mine works because i have a dsl line.The other computers are for my husbands business. when i checked his modem showed a red light for the internet, then i unplugged it and the light came back on green but will not connect to the internet.needless to say hubby is fired up with me (lol) do you have any other suggestions beside me getting a divorce? debbie

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 16:09 »
I'm sorry, but could you spell out (a) what lines and equipment you have and (b) what you did that stopped your husband's computer connecting.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline vidaliab

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 16:16 »
hi rik... well as i said i have a lynx router and he has a dsl with bellsouth i clicked on the lynx adviser and when i did this the main computer stopped working as well as the other one that has a built in adaptor?  right beside the main computer. i dont even know what i am doing here

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 16:20 »
Debbie, you just need to click 'Reply' when you want to answer a post.  :thumb:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 16:23 »
Plug your lynx router into your husband's line, does it light up OK (it shouldn't connect, but should sync).
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline vidaliab

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 16:26 »
yep it lights up ok

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 16:31 »
Then try plugging his router into your line. If that doesn't light up, his router has, coincidentally, failed.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 17:26 »
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index  <--- here's the linux bios site
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database  <--- here's to see if your router is supported
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 17:30 by Reno »

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum