Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: UK's Freeview HD To Go DRM  (Read 714 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
UK's Freeview HD To Go DRM
« on: January 24, 2010, 18:20 »
The BBC has been granted provisional approval to introduce copy protection for Freeview HD after they resubmitted an amended plan. Quoting from Ofcom's statement: 'In view of the fuller submission provided by the BBC, Ofcom is currently minded to approve its request for a multiplex license amendment subject to consultation responses, on the basis that in principle, content management is a justified objective which ensures that the broadest range of HD content is made available to citizens and consumers.' However, it's not too late yet — you can submit your comment and tell them you'd like to be able to record broadcast HD TV. I'm sure the 'content providers' will continue to sell content to the BBC, ITV, etc., if this is not implemented. They'll still take our license fee money (or advertising) and sell us the content, but refuse to let us record or copy it, hoping we'll go out and buy the DVD/Blu-ray as well

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/01/24/0025207/UKs-Freeview-HD-To-Go-DRM
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: UK's Freeview HD To Go DRM
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 18:27 »
It seems an unwise move by the BBC, creating a precedent to render PVRs obsolete. If they succeed, it may prove another nail in the licence fee coffin lid. I rarely watch live TV these days, and if I prevented from creating my own schedules, then I would probably abandon the medium altogether.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 18:34 »
yep.. same here!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 19:56 »
That would be a complete bugger!  I record literally everything I want to watch, as it's never on at the right time for me to see it 'live'.  I can't really see what they would gain from this.  It's not as though pirate copies of EastEnders are rife on the internet.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 20:37 »
exactly. BBC shops really don't get much pirating.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 00:43 »
I am unsure how they could impliment that. Doesnt Sky already make it so that you cant record their encrypted stuff other than to their own Sky + boxes hard drive and if you stop subscribing you cant even watch what you had recorded while you did subscribe  :dunno:

If that is the same way that the BBC are going to do it then there are ways around it  :o:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 00:52 »
I'm sure there will be.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum