Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Windows Patch Leaves Many XP Users With Blue Screens  (Read 2552 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Windows Patch Leaves Many XP Users With Blue Screens
« on: February 11, 2010, 23:32 »
Tuesday's security updates from Microsoft have crippled Windows XP PCs with the notorious Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), users have reported on the company's support forum. Complaints began early yesterday, and gained momentum throughout the day. 'I updated 11 Windows XP updates today and restarted my PC like it asked me to,' said a user identified as 'tansenroy' who kicked off a growing support thread: 'From then on, Windows cannot restart again! It is stopping at the blue screen with the following message: 'A problem has been detected and Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.' Others joined in with similar reports. Several users posted solutions, but the one laid out by 'maxyimus' was marked by a Microsoft support engineer as the way out of the perpetual blue screens.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/02/11/2217239/Windows-Patch-Leaves-Many-XP-Users-With-Blue-Screens
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Windows Patch Leaves Many XP Users With Blue Screens
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:54 »
Which is why it's so important to keep Windows Updates turned off!  I downloaded November and December earlier this week. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 10:08 »
Mine updated with no problems at all.  :dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:14 »
 :smartarse:  It probably has a time delay.   :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:27 »
;D  It's just a well oiled machine.  :)x
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 11:28 »
I won't be downloading this lot until April/May, so (hopefully) they will have been patched by then.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 11:30 »
Which is why it's so important to keep Windows Updates turned off!  I downloaded November and December earlier this week. 

Yep.  Same here.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 12:21 »
Cynic!  ;D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 16:50 »
But safe with it. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 22:30 »
It's been an eventful few days for me.  I'd only just recovered from Nita's attempt to murder me in the shower on Friday evening when my pal rang to say that his Asus Eee toy PC was knackered and could I please mend it for him.

Well, like all the machines affected by this MS Update problem, it turns out that he'd unknowingly given the TDSS Rootkit (virus) a home at sometime and this had overwritten his atapi.sys file.  Since he stores his data on another, larger, drive, I thought it best to let Online Armor ++ eradicate the infection and dropper files, then reformat and reinstall XP from his recovery disks.  Although I've used 486s that are quicker, we finally ended up with a fully-patched system plus a ton of extras including Kaspersky IS 2010.  So I finally signed it off at stupid o'clock on Saturday morning and shuffled off to beddie-byes.

Today I got a call to say his HD had failed.  I've got it here and he's right.  Why is life so bleedin' unfair?   :icon_chuckpc:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 22:49 »
:aarrgh:  These days, I hate it when people ask me to fix their machines.  I've really lost interest in fiddling about, and just want things to switch on and work.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 22:53 »
That's a harrowing story Rod.  I trust his valuable data on the larger drive is still safe? 

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 23:02 »
@Simon:
Stupid computers.  I hate them with a passion.  I just seem to have this eight-foot-high floodlit sign above my head that says "Computer-mender-man, please hassle me."

@Clive:
Yes, his movie/sounds collection on the larger HD appears to be intact and free from infection.  I hope he can still access it from where I'm going to insert it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 23:20 »
@Clive:
Yes, his movie/sounds collection on the larger HD appears to be intact and free from infection.  I hope he can still access it from where I'm going to insert it.

He probably could, but may not get surround sound.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 00:37 »
:aarrgh:  These days, I hate it when people ask me to fix their machines.  I've really lost interest in fiddling about, and just want things to switch on and work.

yeah I have that opinion now! I still dont mind messing a bit.. especially when its a weird problem.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum