Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Sinatra -the world's greatest voice?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Sinatra -the world's greatest voice?
« on: April 10, 2010, 10:29 »
I was watching the Arena documentary recently, and it prompted me to think about the quality of Sinatra's voice, perhaps, more accurately, his ability to deliver a lyric which sucked you into the song he was singing. He was an influence on me from my childhood, but I really came to appreciate him most as I grew older.

Was he the world's greatest singer? In the 20th century, I think the answer is yes. (Though it would be hard to compare him with Pavarotti, say, who had more power and a purer quality, but who sang notes, not words.)

What do you think?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Sinatra -the world's greatest voice?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 11:00 »
I like Sinatra, but perhaps for the songs and arrangements, rather than the voice.  Sure, he did have a great voice, and the power and delivery of the songs couldn't be disputed, but coming from a later era, I would have to submit Freddie Mercury as a challenge.  I certainly think Mercury had a greater range than Sinatra, and I can't help but think of Sinatra as a mobster, rather than a singer!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 11:12 »
Mercury was different, as good in many ways, but without the full emotional range of Sinatra, imo. I'd not kick either out of my collection, though.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:25 »
I've probably only ever heard a dozen or so Sinatra tracks - a drop in the ocean, I expect.  I've looked at compilation CDs, but a lot of them seem to contain loads of tracks I don't know, and can also be of questionable audio quality, due to the age of the material.  I suspect, also, as with Eva Cassidy, a lot of 'demo' type material emerged after his death.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 12:33 »
The Platinum Collection looks tempting, but why miss out My Way and New York New York, surely two of his most popular tracks?  I like the great sounding big band stuff (like NYNY), so not sure if I'd go for the Only the Lonely set.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 12:40 »
It's wee small hours music. Very introverted.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 13:25 »
My favourite Sinatra song is Strangers in the Night.  But he always sings slightly off key so I cannot see how he could take the title Rik.  Crosby or Presley are better singers but Presley is more my era.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 14:56 »
Are you judging the musical performance or the emotional effect, Clive? If the former, then I'd probably agree, but there was little depth to the latter two. A bit like Pavarotti vs Domingo. I prefer the former's voice, but the latter has the greater ability to express emotion.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 16:59 »
Musical performance Rik.  Don't misunderstand me, I thoroughly enjoy listening to Sinatra.   8-)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 17:02 »
Songs for Swinger Sheep?  :devil:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 21:52 »
 :smirks:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum