Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Sticker Shock: How Much Will Recharging Plug-In Hybrids Cost Consumers?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Dear EarthTalk: When the plug-in Prius is released, how much electricity will it use? Will my electric bill double if my Prius is plugged in each night? Or will the increase be minimal? Also, will all this recharging put a strain on the existing electricity grid?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=earth-talk-sticker-shock
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
I think I'll stick to my diesels.   :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Until these vehicles can go as far on one charge, as on a full tank of diesel, I can't see them being viable.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
OTOH, for us, with mainly short runs, they'd be ideal. Sadly, the capital cost is too high.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
There's always something. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
In the UK, though, with economy 7 tariffs to charge by, running costs would be very low.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
But it's like spending £2000 on a new boiler, which will be more efficient.  How long would it take to recoup the capital expense?

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
The average new condensing boiler never pays for itself as it has a shorter life and higher service cost than a conventional boiler. It's one of the one-dimensional aspects of Govt policy which really hacks me off.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
One of my neighbours has just got a Prius, I only noticed yesterday as he pulled on to his drive as I was walking past. Had a quick word with him but didnt think to ask how he charges it. I think its a company car, as he works in IT somewhere, so the higher initial cost of buying it wouldnt have been a problem.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Take it for a test drive, Sandra, and give us a full report. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
I rarely see that neighbour Rik, only chat maybe half a dozen times a year. The neighbours at the other side I see and speak to on an almost daily basis.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Time to get friendly? ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum