Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: A Guide To 3D Display Technology: Its Principles, Methods, And Dangers  (Read 1065 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Whether you buy into the hype or not, it’s plain fact that 3D is everywhere these days. From movies and games to laptops and handhelds, pretty much every screen in the house is going to be 3D-capable in a year or so, even if you opt not to display any 3D content on it. Those of you who choose that path may stop reading now, and come back a little later when you change your mind. Because if you have kids or enjoy movies and games, there will be a point where you’re convinced, perhaps by a single standout piece of media, that 3D is worth it at least some of the time.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/19/a-guide-to-3d-display-technology-its-principles-methods-and-dangers
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I'll pass...
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
have you seen any of the polarizing 3D films? They are pretty darn impressive, especially on an IMAX.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I have, Sam, but I just think that the concept is over-hyped, at least for me. Effect becomes more important than substance - a bit like politics really.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
yeah I'd agree with that. I've seen some films were it was crucial, e.g. Avatar  - story not great effects fantastic. Then again I've seen films like "How to train your dragon" which was a really nice story and I thought the 3D added an extra bit to it. The of course there was "clash of the titans" which was s**t all round and the 3D was just distracting. I think it helps if it was recorded or rendered in 3D afterwards. Still, yeah, does seem like a way of making crap and using 3D to make it more impressive.

I don't see that I'd ever want one at home / those glasses wont work while I like down as of course they are dependent on the viewing angle.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Plus, if you wear glasses already... To me, the way to go at home is video-specs.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
oh yeah, guess I'd not thought of the wearing glasses with them on top really.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Painful.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum