Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Chemists at times look to plants, sea life and other natural sources for the bas  (Read 1138 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Chemists at times look to plants, sea life and other natural sources for the basic ingredients needed to develop the next breakthrough medicine. Unfortunately, nature is not always willing to easily part with its secrets, forcing scientists to rely on sophisticated imaging technology—nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy or mass spectrometry, for example—to decipher the molecular formula of newly discovered organic compounds so they can be replicated in the lab.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=compound-conundrum-chemists-turn-to-modified-microscope-to-fathom-deep-sea-mystery-molecule
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
As these molecules are unknown, and unidentified, I wonder what makes them think they would do us any good?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
you never know, that's why.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Indeed.  It's very exciting to explore the chemistry of Nature as it can lead to many beneficial synthetic chemicals which may not otherwise have been thought of.  

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
If they've not thought of it, how do they know what they're looking for?  :)x
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
that's what I do everyday...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
If they've not thought of it, how do they know what they're looking for?  :)x

That's what scientists are paid to do.   ;D  I reckon Sam earns his keep.   8-)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum