Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Our Drugs War  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Our Drugs War
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 01:31 »
I wonder why that would be, Gill?  I know this is an extreme analogy, but if alcohol was suddenly free, would that mean there'd be less alcoholics?  :dunno:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 02:10 »
I guess that risqué part is just removed?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 10:32 »
One thing we should not lose sight of is that other countries are not necessarily a good model for what would happen here. Just look at extended drinking hours and you'll understand what I mean.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 14:41 »
I'm not sure the problems associated with extended drinking hours are as pronounced as the media tells us.  The only claims I've seen have been made by those who have a vested interest in shorter drinking hours, such as the police and the NHS.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 14:51 »
I've seen it here, Gill, and it's not pretty.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 19:18 »
as someone who frequents those longer drinking hours (or has, not in the last year much being well over in Canada) I've not seen the problems. It has felt that people are more relaxed and there isn't the rush to go the bar and get s**t faced on the last round. Maybe I've just grown up a bit too  :laugh:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 01:21 »
I found the programme very interesting.

The police only intercept 1% of all drugs trafficked in the UK.  The UN has estimated that the police would have to intercept 60% to make any difference to consumption.  It is not unusual for parents to use their children to facilitate their drug habits because children make it is easier to evade the law, thus ensuring that drug usage spreads through the generations.  The criminals who run drug smuggling operations find it very easy to corrupt officials whose duty it is to intercept drugs; practically everyone has a price or a vulnerability which can be exploited.  This made me wonder how far corruption in our society has spread.  It cannot be limited to just the men on the front line - their superiors and their superiors must also be involved.  Criminals would be appalled if narcotics were to be legalised because it is a cash cow for them.

There were many other points raised in the programme but these are the ones that have stuck in my head.  I shall watch it again and I look forward to the next episodes with eager anticipation.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline nilsatis

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 10:41 »
I don't think it's as easy as suddenly legalising drugs, if they were legal then they would be taxed and dearer to buy, the dealers would carry on dealing untaxed/cheaper drugs, it just creates a different problem, saying that though, I do not have the answer.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 11:06 »
I don't think anyone has an answer.  I didn't see the programme last night, but have recorded it.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 11:13 »
Sometimes I think we haven't identified the question.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 14:01 »
What's the question?  I think it's got a lot to do with unfulfilled aspirations; I also think it's got a lot to do with wanting to escape from a variety of pressures such as poverty and social responsibilities.

I'm not sure what the answer is either.  I just know that what we're doing now is actually worsening the situation.  We've got to stop and do something else, and if nobody can suggest a viable alternative to legalisation then I'm prepared to go down that route.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 15:03 »
usrely it all just a question of education?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 15:32 »
What's the question?  I think it's got a lot to do with unfulfilled aspirations; I also think it's got a lot to do with wanting to escape from a variety of pressures such as poverty and social responsibilities.

I agree with you Gill, often media-fuelled unrealistic aspirations. People start believing that life should be like the adverts, permanent blue skies, money no object. Shows like Big Brother have simply added fuel to that particular fire.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 16:02 »
Education has a significant part to play, Sam, but it's just part of the overall culture.  There is very little social mobility in this country.  People (not just youngsters) need to be in an environment which makes it worthwhile having the skills to rise above the commonplace.  They need to feel that their efforts will be rewarded commensurately.  Instead we live in a world where the rich get richer and the poor have to turn tricks just to get by.  It's no wonder there's little social opprobrium in many communities towards those who flout the law or take other easy options.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 05:54 »
There is very little social mobility in this country.

Indeed. I feel very fortunate that I was able to have the education I did. I swear 99% of the people I went to school with haven't. I don't think its important really, as long as you are happy but still... I'm pleased to have had the opportunities.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum