Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: MP rails against end of net neutrality  (Read 736 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
MP rails against end of net neutrality
« on: November 18, 2010, 21:23 »
A Labour MP has tabled an early day motion on net neutrality calling for the Government to reconsider its support for a two-tiered internet.

The motion comes in reaction to yesterday’s comments by Communications Minister Ed Vaizey in which he said ISPs and content providers should be left to decide how to they deliver content to end users.

The fear is that services, such as the BBC’s iPlayer, could be throttled by ISPs unless the corporation paid them for speedy delivery.

In his early day motion, Labour’s Tom Watson said he believed that “abandoning the principle of internet neutrality will stifle online innovation and lead to websites paying internet service providers to ensure their content gets priority”.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/362965/mp-rails-against-end-of-net-neutrality
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: MP rails against end of net neutrality
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 22:14 »
 :dv:  LINK

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 22:15 »
its simple, you pay for a connection - they give you the data. Simple. No one of this, but you are using it too much b******t. Sorry didn't you say unlimited? Oh you really meant unlimited if I don't do anything? Oh so you just want me to browse 5 pages a month and then charge me £30. Oh right, that sounds like a deal.  

I personally have no problem with you pay what you get. If you get a connection that is throttled at 100GB then that's fine, you sign up to the deal, but then the ISP should have no blocking of what you do. They have no right. If you want to watch 100GB of BBC programmes in the first day then that's up to you... they offer you a speed, which is fine to watch streaming media then sweet. They have no right to control what you get. I think they should shut up and not worry... its not like they aren't making money.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 22:32 »
:dv:  LINK

Different, but related, stories.  :wahh:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 22:48 »
 ::)  ::)  ::)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum