Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Home plug problem  (Read 5907 times)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Home plug problem
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 12:28 »
The router's default gateway should point to Virgin though, Dave.

Are all the computers running the same OS? Do the problems only occur if the homeplug is connected?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 13:22 »
No Rik i don't now think it's a home plug problem, i think they have just served to highlight the problem. I connected a laptop (not with the home plugs)with the host pc already connected and the connection failed, citing inability to connect to primary DNS server. If wireless was enabled on the laptop at the same time as it being connected via ethernet could that possibly cause a conflict giving rise to these problems ??

The host pc is on XP sp3 and the laptop is on vista (never updated in 2 years  :blush:).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 13:24 by daveeb »

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 13:36 »
If the laptop was connected via cable before booting, Dave, the cable connection would take precedent and you should get a 'limited or no connectivity' warning for wireless.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 15:19 »
If the laptop was connected via cable before booting, Dave, the cable connection would take precedent and you should get a 'limited or no connectivity' warning for wireless.

No it was connected afterwards Rik, the main desktop was booted first. I'm clutching at straws really as networking is a bit of a dark art to me  :-\

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 16:49 »
Connect the two machines by cable before powering up, Dave. Reboot the router and then power up the machines when the router has completed connecting, see what happens.
Slainthe!

Rik

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum