Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PC sales 'have passed peak'  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
PC sales 'have passed peak'
« on: April 15, 2011, 14:44 »
Weak demand and switch to tablets such as Apple's iPad result in drop in worldwide PC shipments in first quarter.

LINK

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Re: PC sales 'have passed peak'
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 21:23 »
Not surprising.  My son-in-law works at PC World and he's never known it so quiet as it has been this year.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 21:28 »
I think a new PC would certainly be low on the priorities list of most people in the current economic climate.  Other that, of course, those that need them for business, etc...
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 16:21 »
doesn't help that people are saving their cash too.

That and I guess people look online more than going to PC world?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 17:00 »
I don't know, really.  We all take the p!ss out of PC World, but if you want a mainstream computer 'off the shelf', for a reasonable price, there isn't really anywhere better, unless you're lucky enough to have a good local retailer.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 17:59 »
Or you go to Comet... I always found them much more knowledgeable and helpful. Then again, I know what I want generally before I walk in the store, hence my laptop came from PC world.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 18:00 »
The other thing is I bet they aren't the main seller of mac stuff and well mac laptops have surely taken a decent marketshare over the past few years.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 18:20 »
Comet, Currys and PC World are all the same shop.  Although we have a relative who works in PC World and he can get us a 10% discount, we still bought our last laptop from Tesco.  PC World had an identical model on display at the same price as advertised on TV.  However, they didn't have any in stock and we were urged to buy a higher spec (and more expensive) model instead.  We said we would wait until they took delivery of fresh stock but none were forthcoming, so after waiting several days we bought it from Tesco instead.

It's as if PC World is doing its best to alienate potential customers.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 18:29 »
Currys and PC World are part of the same group (Dixons?), but I think Comet is separate. 

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 19:26 »
You're right, Simon.  I was relying on information from a PC World employee and hadn't checked it first - but that's no excuse on my part!  It looks as if Comet is owned by Kesa Electricals.

Mind, all three shops are much of a muchness.  It's not surprising that general retailers such as Tesco can compete with them.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum