Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: "Physics Beyond The Standard Model"  (Read 976 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
"Physics Beyond The Standard Model"
« on: April 24, 2011, 10:02 »
It seems that scientists at CERN are getting excited:

Large Hadron Collider rumoured to have found God Particle

Wouldn't it be ironic if they could announce that they had found the Higgs bosun particle on Easter Sunday?  Of course, that's not going to happen because more research needs to be undertaken, but there's no doubt that the boundaries of particle physics are being pushed back and exciting developments are occurring.  Great stuff :) !
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: "Physics Beyond The Standard Model"
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 10:34 »
That will be quite a shocker if it's found to be true.  But it really will be the Holy Grail and will please particle physicists everywhere.  I can't help thinking it's a PR stunt though.   :o:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 15:30 »
a "A leaked internal memo" - not sure when that kinda thing happens in science. Now I'll give it was an internal memo but leaked, I can't believe a word that Telegraph journalist is trying to sell over leaked. For once I agree:

Professor Brian Cox, a particle physicist at Manchester University and presenter of the BBC's Wonders of the Universe, urged caution over the results.

Writing on the social networking site Twitter, he said: "The Higgs rumours are from an internal, unchecked ATLAS document. Very bad science to leak it. Many mistakes are made in un-reviewed papers."

I've seen some rather awful internal memos / un-reviewed papers - the point is these have not been checked.. and are probably "hey guys check this out, we might have something".
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 19:19 »
Yes, exactly.   :)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 20:12 »
I agree, it's completely conjecture at this point.  Isn't it great that all this is happening, though?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 20:37 »
the science yes, the conjecture I'm not so happy about - just that science has rules that need to be followed. Then again I can't comment since the paper I've just submitted but not had reviewed yet has caused a pretty large stir in the world of radio polarization... and that's no real different - well slightly as its an accepted memo just not a full paper.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum