Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: PC restarting all the time  (Read 2679 times)

Offline skurken

PC restarting all the time
« on: May 10, 2003, 13:01 »
Hey!

I have a serious problem with my PC. The specs are:

Win 2k pro on PIII 1ghz, Abit sa6r mobo, intel chipset,  geforce 2 32meg, Ibm deskstar 30gig+80gig, 2*256mb sdram, M-audio delta 66 soundcard, a new 400w power supply.

It began with my PC restarting now and then while in windows but then it happen more frequently and now I canīt start windows without the comp restarting.

Iīve tried everything I can think of; I have checked/replaced the memory, changed the power supply, reinstalled windows (I canīt get through the installation with out the PC restarting!), tried another hd, removed every pci card I have...... only thing left is to replace the graphics card, doing that today.

Does any1 have a suggestion, could this be the mobo? Also it never happens when I am in bios, it only happens when windows tries to load up.

Iīm getting grey hairs here and Iīm only 25!

HELP!

thanks in advance,

skurken

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:PC restarting all the time
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 13:07 »
Hi Skurken and welcome aboard.
It sounds similar to a common problem that happens in XP when it does a physical memory dump and seems to get into a loop as it carries one each time it restarts,does it say anything like that?
I am not familaiar with 2K but think it may be working along the same lines.
Can you get it into safe mode or does it want to restart even before it gets to that point?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 13:13 »
I found this earlier thread about restarting in 2K.
The person with the original problem never said if it cured their problem or not but there are a few ideas and a link to a way that may help diagnose the propblem.
As the original poster never confirmed or denied it solved the problem I dont know if it was helpful or not  ???

http://pc-pals.com/index.php?board=28;action=display;threadid=2249

Offline skurken

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 13:34 »
Hey, and thanks for the reply.

The thing is, I canīt even install windows now so, restarting in safe mode is not an option. The system reboots half-way through the win2k installation, everytime. I get no error messages or anything like that, my PC just reboots and tells me nothing!

thanks ;)

skurken

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 13:44 »
I havent heard of anything like that being motherboard related.
Have you tried a different 2K cd(assuming you can get/borrow one)?
How about trying a different OS initially to confirm that the PC is ok and its not just a problem with the 2K installation cd  ???

Offline skurken

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 13:50 »
yup, thought of that also but I had the problems prior to trying installing win2k again so I donīt think that should be it..... but who knows, Iīll try to get another copy somewhere.

Thanks so much!

skurken

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 14:11 »
Had a look at various places for any info,even found someone with exactly the same problem but no solutions to it yet  :(
A similar one was solved by unplugging any USB devices during installation as it was detecting and trying to load drivers but this was causing the installation to just stick at that point and didnt cause a restart.
I'll keep looking in case I come across anything  :-*

Offline skurken

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2003, 14:33 »
thanks again :) Iīll keep trying and let you know how it goes.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2003, 14:35 »
Don't laugh if this sounds silly, but it couldn't be something as simple as a faulty reset button or power switch on the case could it?  You said you had installed a new PSU, and I just wondered if all the connections were sound.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline skurken

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2003, 14:42 »
hey,

I disconnected the reset button (and even the on/off switch at some point), and also I had the same problems with the old psu (thatīs why I got a new one) so that should not be the problem.

Thankīs for replying :)

skurken

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2003, 14:45 »
Did you replace the graphics card yet as I found something in Microsoft knowledge base that says:

SYMPTOMS
When you install or upgrade to Windows 2000, setup may stop responding during hardware detection or after the first system restart. The screen may remain black and comma characters may appear on the monitor.

It specifies the display adaptors as being the problem:

CAUSE
This issue may occur if any of the following display adapters is installed in the computer:
The ATI Xpert 2000
The ATI Xpert 128
The ATI Rage 128
These display adapters are manufactured by ATI Technologies Inc.

I know this again is different to your exact problem but may be related,the full article is here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288873

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2003, 14:46 »
OK, it was just a thought.  Sometimes the simple things are overlooked.   ;)

Welcome to Pals, by the way.  Hope someone solves your problem soon.   :) :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline skurken

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2003, 14:51 »
Iīm at work now (busy day at work!-not) and will change the graphics card and install winXP when I get home. Iīll let you know how it goes  ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2003, 14:58 »
Shame that you have to "WORK" on a saturday  ;)

Just found another article but this is a real shot in the dark  ::)

Did you buy any chance upgrade from 98 or ME to 2K ?
If so check this article as it sounds very similar to the problem you described initially ie " It began with my PC restarting now and then while in windows but then it happen more frequently and now I canīt start windows without the comp restarting."

Computer Dual-Boots Between Two Windows 2000 Installations Despite a "Fresh Copy" Installation

Full article here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304895

Offline skurken

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2003, 23:43 »
ok. I went home, changed the gfx card, updated the bios and attempted to install winXP

no luck  :'(

Had a glimpse of a system alert before the system restarted, it said something like "insufficient system resources...." didnt make out the rest...

Im buying a new mobo/cpu now........ Ive changed everything else so Ive given up.

thanks alot for trying guys  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum