Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Soulicious  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Soulicious
« on: October 23, 2011, 18:58 »
We attended the Soulicious concert at the Birmingham Arena last night.  The star of course was Cliff Richard whom Mrs Clive has been fond of since she was 8 years of age!  I estimate that 75% of the audience were "women of a certain age" some of whom had dragged their husbands along for company.  I don't dislike Cliff anyway!  He sung lots of his big hits including The Young Ones, Living Doll, Summer Holiday, Wired for Sound etc and also sung duets with other well known American artistes such as Freda Payne, Percy Sledge and Lamont Dozier the Tamla Motown songwriter.  James Ingram and Birmingham's own Jaki Graham also sang.  The show was primarily to promote Cliff's new album and he more or less hogged the stage for two hours while allowing the other artistes to sing just one song each.  But I suppose it was Cliff that people had paid to see.  I hadn't been to the LG Area before and hadn't realised it was such a large venue.  Our seats were so far back that we could hardly see who was on stage so we had to rely on the giant TV screens.    Also, the seating is a bit strange since the balcony seats don't face the stage and you have to sit in your seat at an angle which becomes unpleasant after a while.  We would certainly book different seats if we ever went again.  Our hotel (The Crowne Plaza) was literally a five minute walk from the Arena and just yards away from Junction 6 of the M42. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Soulicious
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 20:12 »
Last time I heard Cliff on the radio, doing a plug for his new album, he sounded like he had someone else's teeth in.  All credit to him, though, for keeping going after all these years.  I had no idea that Percy Sledge was still alive!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 21:34 »
I've only been to the NEC once, which was to see Status Quo.  We were in the main stalls but so far away that I was pleased I had my opera glasses with me.  Yet even with the glasses, we were dependent on the giant video screens.  I can't imagine we'll ever go there again.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 22:14 »
I had no idea that Percy Sledge was still alive!

He may as well be dead because his voice has gone and he can barely sing at all.

I've only been to the NEC once, which was to see Status Quo.  We were in the main stalls but so far away that I was pleased I had my opera glasses with me.  Yet even with the glasses, we were dependent on the giant video screens.  I can't imagine we'll ever go there again.

We deliberately avoided the main stalls because we didn't want people standing in front of us.  It was a very wise decision because almost everyone in that section stood up for the entire performance.  Those of us sat in the gallery were much better behaved!  I was clever enough to take a good pair of binoculars with me but stupid enough to leave them in our case at the hotel.   ::)  I doubt that they would have made much difference.  To be fair to Cliff, he's very fit for a 72 year old and gave a very strong and dynamic performance.  He still has a good voice and knows how to please his audience.   

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 11:27 »
He sung lots of his big hits including The Young Ones, Living Doll, Summer Holiday, Wired for Sound etc and also sung duets with other well known American artistes

I didn't realise he was American.  :o
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 12:34 »
Pedant!   ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 12:42 »
Couldn't resist that one. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 13:04 »
We should be used to it by now Simon.   ::)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 13:12 »
Very true.   :laugh:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 17:30 »
The ghost of Oscar Wilde will yet come back to haunt you. ;D
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 18:33 »
I thought it already had!  ;D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 18:35 »
 :bartmoon: :laugh:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator