Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: pc startup problem  (Read 2177 times)

Offline marakas

pc startup problem
« on: May 25, 2003, 13:59 »
Hey dudes,

I've just recieved a PC: xp2400, 120 gb hdd, 512 mb ram, 128 geforce,matsonic m/board, and win 98 installed. On boot up I get to the Windows 98 startup screen, a black screen jumps and and the monitor switches off. The base unit is still running but nothing shows on the monitor, and there is no further HDD noise. Tried different monitors, and had a tweak on the BIOS.

So is it a HDD, Win 98 or a BIOS problem?

It's over to you!

Adept

Re:pc startup problem
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 14:10 »
Hi marakas :welcome:

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? As the PC is starting up, press F8 repeatedly just before the "Starting Windows 98" message appears. You should be able to choose Safe Mode from a menu that appears.

If the PC boots correctly into Safe Mode, I would say the problem is driver related. If it will not boot in Safe Mode it could be a graphics card problem.

A problem like this may take a while to work out. Please bear with us as we ask questions, some of which may appear pretty irrelevant at times ;) ::)

Offline marakas

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 14:19 »
Thanks for the prompt reply adept!

I don't mind if you insult my ( limited ) intelligence, sometimes the obvious is easily overlooked, I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.....hmmmm I can smell a roast dinner!!!!

I have a small axe ready just in case!

Adept

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 14:21 »

I have a small axe ready just in case!

Glad to see you have the right equipment marakas. PCs often respond well to subtle threats of violence ;D ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 14:22 »
Just thinking Adept could it be the BIOS set to Halt On All Errors ?
That may stop it even going into safe mode couldnt it  ???

Adept

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2003, 14:24 »

Just thinking Adept could it be the BIOS set to Halt On All Errors ?
That may stop it even going into safe mode couldnt it  ???

If it displays the Windows 98 starup screen, it's past that point Sandra. Whether or not it works in Safe Mode will confirm it.

Offline marakas

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2003, 14:30 »
hey guys, you work fast!!!

It doesn't go into safe mode, I still get the same problem as before.

Halst on all errors I haven't seen, gonna give that a whirl now!!!

Adept

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2003, 14:33 »
Has this PC ever worked for you marakas? If the fault has just started happening can it be traced to some new hardware or software you might have installed?

Offline marakas

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2003, 14:36 »
No mate it's a brand newey! It's not mine it's my brothers, then One I'm on now is working fine!!!!!

As usual, you just can't get in touch with the firm that built it!!!!

It may be something daft though, it usually is!!!

Like me!

Adept

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2003, 14:40 »
I may be worthwhile opening the case and carefully removing and replacing all the expansion cards. I don't know your level of expertise, but since you know about BIOS, I guess this won't be a problem for you.

My gut feeling though is that there may be a problem with the graphics card. Do you have another you can try?

Offline marakas

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2003, 15:22 »
Hey it works!

Adept, my brother owes you a pint, but you'll be lucky to get one out of him!!!!

Thanx to Sandra also, all options worth checking out!!!

Now wheres me bottle of Miller!!! 8)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2003, 15:31 »
Is the 128 geforce a PCI or an AGP card Marakas?
I think they do both versions,if its a PCI it mat be worth trying it in a different location if its an AGP then try swapping it with yours and see if it stops working on yours as well and yours works in his  :-*

Hadnt read about the startup screen properly sorry Adept,doing too much at once again,(sorry Boss,I will go and stand in a corner with my dunces cap on for 30 mins)  ;)

The halt on (select which) errors is in the CMOS screen by the way,after the bit where you tell it which floppies you have,but as Adept says its going past that part  :-*

Offline marakas

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2003, 15:33 »
the card giving me hassle is a 128 geforce 440 agp card, the 32 mb Nvidia tnt2 seems to be working fine! :P

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2003, 15:33 »
Oops late for the party again  :'(
Glad it was sorted before you had to rely on me after all,welcome to Pals by the way  :-*

Offline marakas

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2003, 15:37 »
hey no probz; thanks for the suggestions. Only the foolish don't listen to all suggestions!!!

Now to get my daughters PC working again, I must be a virus or something!!! ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum