Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Soundless in Asus!  (Read 5218 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:Soundless in Asus!
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2003, 08:39 »
Another thought  ;D..more than just sound card drivers etc.

http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/companies/496.htm

Hookstar

Offline Tabbler

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2003, 17:01 »
I've got sound at last!

I installed (for the forst time) XP Pro, and the motherboard CD worked like a dream. Result - full sound capability, and without having to buy a soundcard.

However, I don't like XP much, as it can't seem to run a couple of 'must-have' programs; it also seems to be a bit bloated and, I believe, rather invasive.

So I'm thinking of setting up some sort of dual-boot system. I've got, and know how to use, Partition Magic, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I still HAVE to get the sound working with ME, though!

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2003, 17:12 »
Glad to hear that you are getting somewhere Tabbler.  Please keep us posted with developments and I'm sure one of our techies will comment when they get here.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2003, 18:07 »
I am really pleased that you got your sound sorted at last,Tabbler (now you can appreciate my sig in all its glory  ;) )
Which "must have" progs wont XP run that ME will ?
Dont believe XP if it just says somethings not certificated or similar as most ME stuff would be ok I would have thought with XP.
I have heard a few people say that they dont like XP and have gone back to 98 or ME (not that many people I know of prefer ME to anything  ::) )
I think that you have to stick with it for a few weeks to give it a fair tryout before rejecting it comletely.

At least we can now assume that the motherboard inc the onboard sound and the memory is ok so that just leaves the original problem of installing the drivers on the ME OS.
It definately sounds similar to the problem I mentioned before in that its not picking the drivers up off the motherboard CD,(my problem was that they couldnt be found on the 98SE cd)
The thing we need to identify now is whether XP found the drivers by itself or from the motherboard CD  ???
Can you delete them and reboot,that way if it reinstalls them without asking for the motherboard CD it would indicate that the drivers are in XP itself(as is often the case).
If thats the case then they probably wont be on the motherboard CD at all for some reason (Faulty copy possibly? )which would necessitate getting in touch with ASUS  :( or the supplier that you got the motherboard off.
If it asks for the motherboard CD and reinstalls them from there then it will probably only work by manually trying to get them off the CD again and pointing ME in the right place to find them.
I know you said you have tried that already though  ???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2003, 18:21 »
Glad you got it sorted Tabbler.  When you say XP is 'invasive' and 'bloated' you might find this site useful (I think courtesy of Hookstar, originally).  There's lots of services and / or features you can turn off that you don't need / want to run.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2003, 18:32 »
Ahh fame at last  ;D thank you Simon

Offline Tabbler

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2003, 17:05 »
Update - Finally managed to get sound on Windows ME. Had to give-up on the onboard audio, though; instead, I got the soundcard from the link supplied by 2 users of this very forum :

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/SpecPage.html?NOV-SC51N

Ordered yesterday at lunchtime; arrived this morning at 8 am! No problems at all with installing *these* drivers!

So not only do I not have to use XP - I can dispose of ME as well, and go back (forward?!) to 98 SE. I only tried ME because it allowed me to load the drivers using the CD menu-system, as opposed to having to do it manually under 98 SE. Of course, it turned out that *both* OS's didn't like the CD, full-stop.... no matter WHAT I tried.

So there you have it!

* Simon repaired url link.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2003, 18:01 »
Glad to be of service, Tabbler.   ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2003, 23:21 »
Novatechs cheque for your commission will be in the post at the end of next month unfortunately Simon as the order was too late to get it included in with this months back handers to you  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2003, 23:41 »
:D  I don't get as much as Adept gets from Opera!   ;) ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2003, 23:51 »
As Opera is free ( the others is heavily subsidised ny the lottery  ::) ) I doubt that he gets any at all Simon  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2003, 23:56 »
Well, it's free if you want to put up with an ad banner in your browser.

Adept

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2003, 09:07 »

Well, it's free if you want to put up with an ad banner in your browser.

I don't even notice the banner ads any more. It's probably because I run my screen at a reasonable resolution and can see an area of desktop larger than a postage stamp ::) ;) ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2003, 09:57 »
  ;D ;D

I've been using Mozilla for a few days, but I'm going off that too.  It's faster then both Opera and IE, but has a number of irritating incompatabilitles.  Like not being able to see our smilies, and not being able to access sevaral websites, designed only for IE.

I wish MS would update IE - that might alleviate the boredom!   ;) ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum