Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: dvd rewriter  (Read 2655 times)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
dvd rewriter
« on: June 02, 2003, 10:45 »
hi peeps

my current set up is

IDE1 primary hd 1
     secondary  hd 2 (slave)

IDE2  primary  dvd rom
      secondary cd rewriter

i have no problem copying cd's "on the fly" even though the dvd & cd drives share the same ide channel.  I'm considering getting a dvd +r/rw rewriter.  my questions are

1.   which drive would be the most sensible to replace.

2.  would i need to uninstall the old cd or dvd drivers first and how would replacing the drive impact on programmes like Nero and powerDVD ie would i have to reinstall them also.

ta very much

;)

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
Re:dvd rewriter
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 11:05 »
I replaced my DVD drive on my other PC a wee while ago. Installed new ones without uninstalling the old one and it was fine. I would probably get rid of the CD writer because The two I have both have troubles reading a lot of CDs. Not sure if it's the same for DVD writers :)

Oh forgot to say you won't need to reinstall any of the programs  :) I think they search everytime you start them up
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 14:08 »
All the DVD writer reviews that I have seen write cds too Dave so it would be ok to replace the cd writer,that would allow you to "copy" DVDs on the fly (providing of course that they were not copyrighted  :o )from your DVD rom which will also read CDs.
My DVD rom didnt do too well reading some cds to my cd writer but as you said you didnt have that problem that the way I would go.
To write a DVD you would need the latest "Add On" from Nero to allow this,other than that Power DVD will just identify the new drive in place of the old one and wont need to be updated or reinstalled  :-*

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 15:20 »
thanks sandra and robotochan, all my questions answered.  now i just need to find one within my budget, which currently gives me about fifteen quid to lavish on it.  :'(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 16:22 »
Allow me to irritate everyone else, Dave - here's a small selection of DVD Writers.   ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 17:18 »
Unless you desperately need one straight away Dave,I would be tempted to wait a few months until more manufacturers bring the multi format writers out.
The prices will no doubt tumble and you wont be stuck with a Philips 2000 or a Betamax VCR like the early buyers of VCRs were  :-*

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 19:09 »
Sandra, will you please leave Simon alone!!  He has enough to contend with without you poking fun at his VCR.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 19:21 »
What VCR he said he was using an Eddison wax cylinder model with stereo ear trumpets last time we were disgussing Hi Fi and film recording  ;)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 19:26 »
It may have been the previous model Sandra.

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2003, 19:51 »

Unless you desperately need one straight away Dave,I would be tempted to wait a few months until more manufacturers bring the multi format writers out.
The prices will no doubt tumble and you wont be stuck with a Philips 2000 or a Betamax VCR like the early buyers of VCRs were  :-*

dont think it'll be a problem sandra.  +R dvd plays on virtually everything.

« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:22:18pm »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allow me to irritate everyone else, Dave - here's a small selection of DVD Writers.  

cheers simon, no-one will be more irritated than mrsB, she likes to fritter our money away on food and clothes for the kids.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2003, 19:55 »

-she likes to fritter our money away on food and clothes for the kids.  

What a dreadful waste of money Dave.   ;D

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2003, 22:18 »
@daveeb

Presumably you will not be copying DVDs on the fly so it doesn?t make a lot of difference which drive you replace although you get the best results with a reader on one IDE and the writer on the other IDE,
You do not need to remove any drivers and if new ones are required the should be included with the DVD
I take it that you are ripping the DVD to the hard drive as a compressed file before copying to a DCD-R/RW?, I only mention that because most DVDs are 9Gb to 14Gb or more, while the DVD-R/RW capacity is 4.5Gb (could be mistaken?)

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2003, 10:55 »
hi lobo

the main use it will be put to is burning pre-recorded material (from a standalone phillips dvd recorder then saved to h.d)to other dvd discs i.e. mix n match.

having said that the budget hasn't been agreed yet by the paymaster general a.k.a. mrsB so i might have to whistle for a while.

;)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2003, 09:31 »
Hi Dave.....

Not sure on what you've decided....but i here people raving about these and i ain't seen them any cheaper than that.. ;)

Best of luck... ;) ;D ;D

Adept

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2003, 09:49 »
Wow that is cheap :o Now where's that credit card? :D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum