Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Upgrade RAM  (Read 3491 times)

Offline twiggy

Upgrade RAM
« on: June 19, 2003, 12:02 »
I have a 128MB RAM card installed at the moment. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 512MB. Where i'm stuk is there are two types there is a 184pin and a 168pin. Would it make a difference which one i bought? or would they both work? what is the difference between the two e.g performace? thanks for your help,

Mark

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Upgrade RAM
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 12:27 »
Hi Mark and  :welcome:

One of our techies will be able to provide you with an answer very shortly.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 13:29 »
Hi Mark, and welcome.

As Clive said, someone more technical might be able to help more, but in the meantime, have you tried crucial.com?  They do a good job of matching memory sticks to motherboards, and are usually among the most competative on price too.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Big_Boss

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 13:35 »
Hi Mark

I managed to find a guide here although it doesnt say anything specific about 184 and 168 pin RAM sticks.

Im pretty sure my ram is 184 pin but i have DDR so it might be different to SDRAM. Ive never really thought about how many pins the RAM has to be honest. I just go to the shop and ask for 512MB of DDR RAM ;D ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 13:42 »
Hi Twiggy welcome aboard  :)

168 pin is SDRAM whereas the 184 is DDR RAM

Unfortunately they are not interchangeable but some boards take both types(identifiable by the two kinds of slots next to each other,the DDR slots being longer).
Also even if you have the board that takes both they can only be used as all SDRAM or all DDR you cant mix them.

You also need to find out whether your board supports 100 or 133 mhz for the SDRAM or 2100 or 2700 (not sure what the units are) for the DDR RAM.

If you can let me know the make and model no of the motherboard I can check exactly which one you need for you  :-*

Offline twiggy

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 13:58 »
I bought the pc over a year ago now and i have never opened it up before so i couldnt say waht mother board it has in it. How do i find out what my board supports? I wasnt planing on mixing them i was going to do a stright swap would this be a good idea?

Thanks again mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 14:05 »
Hi Mark,unless it has the slots already in for both types then you would have to use the one thats already in.

Have you got a program called Si Soft Sandra or similar?
That will tell you the make of motherboard and also what kind of ram you have installed and also what alternatives you have available.

Depending on your operating system,system information may give you this information too,XP does I am not sure about the others.

Can you give me as much information as you have that you know of about your PC and operating system please?
Do you know how to get into BIOS,if so that will tell you what the FSB speed is so we can determine whether you are on 100 or 133 mhz  :-*

Offline twiggy

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 14:31 »
Im actually at work now and not on my home computer. I will get a programme like that when i return home. I'm running windows 98. I dont no how to access the BIOS could you please tell me?

Thanks for all your help Mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 14:31 »
You can download "Sandra" from here Mark :

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2086-10132058.html?tag=lst-0-1

Its got a trial before you buy so hopefully it will allow you to get the information about your motherboard (sometimes trials arent fully functional)without having to buy it  ;)

Failing that you will have to open the case up and see what the motherboard is and hopefully the model no will be clearly visible.
At least you will be able to see how many and which kind of memory slots there are,they are usually near the IDE connectors(the wide grey ribbon cables)  :-*

edited to correct link  :-*

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 14:48 »
Ok Mark,when you start your PC press the DEL (or DELETE) as it is loading up that should bring the BIOS screen up.

Actually I have just looked on my other PC and it hasnt got the speed showing,only auto detect or manually select it from some options,so forget about the BIOS for now as its not wise to alter settings in there unless you are fairly sure of what you are doing and I dont think it will give us the information we need at the moment  :(

Offline Big_Boss

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 16:37 »
"Sandra" should be able to give you the name of your motherboard, then all we gotta do it match the motherboard to what RAM it needs.  ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 17:44 »
Belarc Advisor is a free download, and should also tell you the details of your Motherboard and BIOS.  You can download it free from:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 18:17 »

"Sandra" should be able to give you the name of your motherboard,

Hey BB I'm not psychic you know  ;)

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 22:09 »
Argh this topic was a confusing read never normally see my true identity mentioned so many times.
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline twiggy

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2003, 22:25 »
Is this enough or u wont more?

Operating System
Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222)

Processor a
750 megahertz AMD Athlon