Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: USB problems  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
USB problems
« on: July 13, 2003, 23:04 »
I have been having terrible problems with my hp all in one printer/scanner.  The pc won't recognise the scanner,although it prints ok.  If I un-install the software and re-install, it works fine until the next time I reboot. I went into HP support and did everything per instructions but it is still acting up.  Anybody else experienced this problem?.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817900

The above applies to XP but I have millenium ???

Clive fixed link
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Re:USB problems
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 23:16 »
Not the same hardware, Lona, but I had an identical problem with my sound card, after I foolishly downloaded an updated driver from the Windows Update site.  After each reboot, I had the reinstall the driver.  

The only cure I found was to remove the software in Control Panel > System, take the card out of its slot, restart the computer, shut it down again, put the card back, and then let Windows find it on startup and reinstall the original driver.

By the way, I like the new sig.  That Acker Bilk music is very soothing, but I can't remember the title.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 23:20 »
Lonas music is "Stranger on the shore" Dave  :-*

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 23:26 »
:thanks:  Sandra.  I think a visit to WinMX is imminent!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 23:27 »
Or messenger if you would like it quicker Dave  :-*

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 23:33 »
I did all the same things as you Dave. At the moment everything is working and I am not continually getting the "scanner not found" message.  I had to un-install and re-install about 10 times before the scanner was recognised.
HP support says there is a virus that can bypass norton and delete anything on your registry that has scan in it.

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bpu01859&prodId=hppsc750pr28086

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 00:19 »

Or messenger if you would like it quicker Dave  :-*

Thanks again, Sandra.  There were only two search results for it on WinMX and they both had over 100 in the queue.  However, I have that dodgy Kazaalite program and I got it from there without any problem.   I just hope it didn't give me any "extras" while I was connected to it. :o

Adept

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 18:48 »
Getting back on topic ... ;) :P

Lona it sounds to me as if the driver is "sticking" in the machine. This may just be repeatiing what HP has already said but here goes:-

Remove the printer's usb lead from your PC and reboot.

Using Add/Remove programs in Control Panel remove the HP driver(s) and reboot again

In Control Panel you'll find the System Properties icon. Click this and click the Device manager tab. If there are any devices related to the HP, remove them buy clicking on each icon and pressing delete.

Reboot again.

Follow HP's instructions for installing the scannner. (Probably install the software CD first and then plug the scanner in )

I'm on MSN if you need further help :)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 22:22 »
Did everything you said Adept and at the moment everything is A ok.  The mystery is deepening all the same as I have been leaving the pc running all day instead of closing and opening constantly. Today the pc shut itself down and when I tried to boot up it would not switch on. I had to pull the plug out and back in again and then it switched on.  It's fine at the moment but I don't think I will be leaving pc running all day. It's when I started  leaving it on, these problems started.  Could be all a co-incidence, what do you think? ???

Adept

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 22:28 »
Well I'm glad it's worked for you so far Lona.

Not sure about leaving the PC running being the culprit. But then again, nothing much surprises me with PCs ::)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2003, 23:07 »

Today the pc shut itself down and when I tried to boot up it would not switch on. I had to pull the plug out and back in again and then it switched on.  

I occasionally get that problem with mine Lona, but it hasn't happened for several months now.  The only thing I can think of is that Zone Alarm was throwing up countless messages in the error log and I uninstalled it.  It has been fine since I did that.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 23:29 »
Thanks Adept, everything seems fine now. :D

Yours must be red hot with the amount of time you spend online, Clive ;). I'm not going to leave mine switched on. I am going back to my old ways, although its a footer when you need access in a hurry. ::)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 23:38 »
Well I must admit that I turn my machine on at about 6.30 and it stays on until almost midnight.  I'm not actually online as much as it seems though as I don't log out of the forum when I've finished.  ;D

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2003, 01:41 »
Would you believe that after I posted that everything was ok, PC shut itself down.  The back plug was very hot and it wouldn't switch on again.  I waited until it cooled and it switched on and everything was normal again. I really can't fathom this out. ???

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2003, 01:48 »
Lona, have you checked that the wires are properly connected and the correct fuse is in the plug?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum