Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Hard Drive Free Space Disappears!  (Read 736 times)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
Hard Drive Free Space Disappears!
« on: July 29, 2003, 23:55 »
Hi.

There is one of my old PCs in my lad's bedroom, which I was having a look at earlier.  The HD is only 808MB and it has 32MB RAM.  When I switched on, there were 212MB free.  As you do, I started playing Minesweeper when suddenly I got the dreaded message "You are out of free space on drive c".  The thing almost crawled to a halt, but I managed to get into My Computer to find that Drive C suddenly only had 10MB free.  I switched off, ran Scandisk at the C:\ prompt, which found no problems, restarted Windows and was back to 208MB free.

As I can't believe that the Windows swap file suddenly grew to somewhere between 200MB and 300MB, has anyone any suggestions as to where the free space could have disappeared to?

??? ???

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
Re:Hard Drive Free Space Disappears!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 00:12 »
@Dave
Hi m8, my swapfile is about 1.5Gb if you are using a game or other application then windows adjusts the swapfile and if you have less than 1Gb on the drive you may get the warning lack of space on drive C

If possable I set the swapfile to another drive with plenty of free space

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 00:23 »
It probably would be the swap file Dave especially if youd played a few games as it would be backing them up as you played them  ???

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 00:36 »
Thanks for the replies.

Must have been the swap file.  As the Minesweeper game is one of those silly games that come with Windows 95, I wouldn't have expected it to be so heavy.  Anyway, I have just been back into the bedroom and had another look at it.  The swap file is currently only 24MB so, if it happens again, I'll try and look what size it has grown to before I restart.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum