Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Do not trust the buggers  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Do not trust the buggers
« on: December 29, 2003, 23:18 »
I just had a disapointing evening building a new pc for a friend.
I sent him to a local store to get the parts he needed in addition to what he already had and told him to check that the mobo, cpu and everything was compatable with what he had already, namely 256 mb ddr pc 2100.
The guy in the shop said that the Asus mobo (200/266/333 FSB) and the 2500 Barton 333mhz cpu that he was buying were definately ok with his ram.
The time came to switch on and we got lots of beeps  :(
Double checked everything , swapped the ram into different slots, no difference  ???
Had a quick read through the manual ( handy not being a man as I know how to and I am allowed to read the manual).
After reading a couple of pages this paragraph kind of jumped off the page at me  ::)

Note: When using 333mhz FSB CPU, system memory supports DDR 333 only

Why dont shops open at reasonable times as we have to wait until tomorrow now to get the correct ram  :(

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re:Do not trust the buggers
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 23:24 »
Most salespeople just haven't a clue what they are talking about Sandra. That's a hard lesson I learned many years ago!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 23:51 »
Ahh, the joys of home building a computer!    ;) ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 23:52 »
This was the guy who owned the place and he is usually pretty good in all fairness to him.
The mobo would indeed take the ram but not if it has the 333mhz cpu in as well, which he should really have known as there was no way of me knowing until I could read the manual  :(
The strange thing is that if it had a 200 or 266 cpu it will take ddr 266/333 or 400 but with a 333 cpu it will only work with ddr 333  ::)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 17:29 »
Got the 333 DDR this afternoon, fitted it and got 3 beeps and no display  :(
Took the graphics card back to the shop and they tested it and got no display either so they gave me a replacement and its working now  :)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 22:41 »
:lol:  Sandra.  When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was another one about TVB and his cronies.

You're right about shops and their opening hours.  Until recently, banks used to be virtually inaccessible to those who work.  What really used to annoy me is that when I used to work in Lancaster I had just a half hour lunch break.  I regularly had to go to the bank during this half hour, to pay bills etc.  I would arrive there, only to find a queue full of the elderly, mums with kids and so on, who could easily have gone there before noon or after 2PM, therefore freeing the lunch hours for those who had to go between work.  >:(

:tony: over.  Glad you've sorted it.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 23:48 »
Yes its running sweetly now Dave and I am impressed at how fast the 2500 Barton is compared to my XP 2100 +.
Mine runs at 1733mhz and the Barton is at 1873 mhz or around there.
Not sure if its the way the Barton works or the FSB of 333 that is the main difference but it only took 30 minutes to install XP including SP 1  :)

Offline princeofdarkness

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 11:22 »

well all i can say is that evey time i walk into a pc shop i am worried because i feel they just tell you it will work to make a sale and when you get home it doesnt work and i get really dissapointed :-\
quot;Spirits damned to rot
Amidst the brimstone fireballs
Eyes of the dead
Watching from their living walls
Broken glass reflections
Show your flesh eaten away
Beyond the gates I'll take you
Where the blood forever rains"

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum