Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Display Problem??  (Read 797 times)

Offline jcreaney

• New Registration
Display Problem??
« on: September 27, 2003, 20:09 »
I've just purchased a PC base. P4 2.4, 128 MB. (spec = http://store.ikordesign.com/ikordesign/details.asp?item=BI04U8668G), which I installed the drivers and XP on with no problems.

I then added a CDRW and DVD drive ok. However the next day when I turned the PC on instead of seeing a black screen as usual , the screen is a mix of hazy, checkered lines. The colour cycles between yellow, green and white.

The keyboard is unresponsive, but the other components appear to be as normal, ie.The fan's are on and the Hard Disk light on the front flashes.

Has anyone got any ideas? Do I need to reset the BIOS? If so I would need instructions on this too.

Adept

Re:Display Problem??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2003, 20:26 »
Hi jcreaney :welcome:

Does the PC make all the usual beeping noises or is there a sequence of one long beep and several short ones?

It sounds to me as if it could be one of 2 things:-

1. The graphics card has come loose from its slot
2. The memory on the card has failed (or some other hardware fault with the gfx card)

I'd open the lid of the machine and remove and replace the graphics card, just to make sure it is correctly seated :)

Please post back and let us know how you get on.

Offline jcreaney

• New Registration
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2003, 20:45 »
Thanks for your quick response.

When I restart the machine now, the monitor doesn't even recognise a signal. There are no beeps at all. The fans and HD are still running.

I don't have a seperate graphics card, I use the onboard graphics.

All ideas greatfully received!

Adept

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2003, 20:53 »
:youch:

It could be another card that's worked loose (if you have any) or it could also be them memory. You might want to remove these and replace them to see if it makes a difference.

Because there ane no beeps, it means that the PC is not even getting as far as loading the BIOS, which generally indicates at hardware problem of some kind.

You may also be correct about resetting the BIOS. On the motherboard there is usually a jumper marked "Clear CMOS". You need to place the jumper in the alternative position to cleat the CMOS settings and then place it back where it came from.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum