Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Bobby Gerald

« on: October 02, 2003, 14:53 »
Hi.

I have just got a HP Omnibook 2100 for cheap. On of the reasons why it was cheap was because it didn't come with anything, apart from Windows 98 Boot Up Disk and a small pamphlet. I have increased the space on the hard drive (I think), but then it tells me to type Format c:/s. It keeps saying Invalid Drive Specification.

What am I doing/not doing? I am desperate to get this Laptop up and running, but I don't have the knowledge to see it through.

Can anyone help?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 15:03 »
Welcome aboard Bobby, it looks like it hasnt got any system files on the hard drive as the Format C:/s command is to make it ready for installing your OS.
What did you do to increase the space on the hard drive ?
Did it boot into windows before you increased the space ?
Have you got an OS to put on it if it hasnt got one ?

Offline Bobby Gerald

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 15:45 »
Hi Sandra. Thanks for getting back to me.

Firstly it told me to type an initial command (forgotten what). then it asked me 3 questions, to which I replied 'y' as I had been told. Then a percentage counter ran off. I then turned off my computer as I had been told to . Fatre turining it back on I was supposed to see a block of text at the top, perhpas with Windows mentioned. There was nothing, save for the a:> thingy. I typed in Format c:/s as I was supposed to and like I said nothing happened.

Windows did NOT come up at any point.

I think I do have an O/S. I copied Windows from a friend's brand new computer. Please tell me if I sound like a novice!

I do not have access to my laptop as I am at work, so I'm kind of writing blind. Are you available later on tonight? I'm not asking you out on a date, but I definitely need a friend on this one!

(I have friends and housemates who all have PC's and laptops. You'd think they could help. But no...)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 15:55 »
Hi Bobby and Welcome to Pals,  :)

Sorry I can't help but I know the techies will.

Don't worry about sandra not being around later as she is on til morning :lol:  And so are loads others. Myself of course I'm a good girl and get to bed by 1am :lol:

Damn sandra, you nearly got a date there hehe

Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Bobby Gerald

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 16:07 »
Hi.

Thanks for the info.

By the way, if DOS is an O/S, then that is what I have got!

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 16:24 »
Hi Bobby and :welcome:

Just a thought when you type format c: /s do you include a space after the c: - not sure if that will make much differnece but when I've used the format comand in the past its always been like this:

format c: /q /u
where c: is your hardrive.

That erases everything on the PC and lets you start from scratch. Only do it if you have a full recovery CD or even better a full version of windows on a CD.

Maybe its best to wait for a 'techie' to turn up - no doubt some will be on soon after they've finished work.

DJ  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 16:52 »
You are right of course DJ it should be format:c /s with a space between the C and / .
Dos is a basic operating system that people used prior to windows becoming available and is still used in some cases to do certain commands with on windows PCs or prior to installing windows.
You cant copy windows from your friends PC unless you mean you copied his cd on it.
If the percentage bar ran it does sound like you have formatted your PC so it will be wiped clean now  :(
What happens when you just turn the PC on withouht any cd or floppy in a drive  ?

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 16:55 »

Windows did NOT come up at any point.

I think I do have an O/S. I copied Windows from a friend's brand new computer. Please tell me if I sound like a novice!

:o   :-X

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 16:57 »
He may have still been in DOS with his boot floppy in Hooky, just wanted some confirmation  :)

Adept

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 18:47 »
Hi Bobby :welcome:

I hope that we can help with you problem and you enjoy your time with us on PC-Pals. You're in good hands with Sandra :)

A quick Google for the spec of an Omnibook 2100 tells me that you could run Windows 98 on it albeit fairly slowly. The Omnibook would be fine for light tasks such as Wordprocessing. I think it probably has a CD-ROM drive built-in, so all you would need to do is "obtain" a copy of Windows 98 to install on it. We can certainly help with the installation :)

I say "obtain", because, as you know, it is illegal to copy someone else's Windows disk to use on your PC. You wouldn't catch any of us doing things like that would you Sandra ;) :P

Edited to clear up some slight confusion  ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 19:00 »

I say "obtain", because, as you know, it is illegal to copy someone else's Windows disk to use on your PC. You wouldn't catch any of us doing things like that would you Sandra ;) :P

I did wonder whether to say something about that Adept as we cant possibly condone illegal, pirated software although I understand that it does go on from time to time ::)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2003, 19:48 »
I did wonder whether to say something about that Adept as we cant possibly condone illegal, pirated software although I understand that it does go on from time to time

It does !!!!!!!!! well I'm shocked, this countries going to the dogs.......next you will be telling me all the world leaders are crooks.....no don't tell me

;D

Hooky.......you bugger  :-X ;)

Welcome Bob,

your in good hands with our Sandra, word of advice though, she has staying power and will have you up all night   :-X
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2003, 20:38 »
Bob.......Bob...anybody seen Bob :)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum