Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: on screen message  (Read 2294 times)

Offline taffy

on screen message
« on: October 06, 2003, 17:47 »
:-[ help  :- system low on resorces

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
Re:on screen message
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 17:53 »
Hi Taffy and welcome to pc pals..

How much ram have you got on board and what OS are you using.

Hookstar

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 17:53 »
Hi Taffy and  :welcome:  I see that you are from Dyfed.  There is a large Welsh contingency on this forum including myself and Adept.   ;D  So you are in good company.  I'm sure that one of our techies will help you out within a few minutes.  Most probably it will be Sandra.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 17:54 »
Oh well, I was wrong again!   ;D  Thanks Hook.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 17:54 »
Hi Taffy, welcome aboard. You should feel right at home here as we are almost overrun with Welsh folks  ;)

It sounds like a shortage of RAM, or possibly virtual memory.
Can you tell us which OS you are using and what kind of equipment is in your PC.
Has this started happening recently, after you have installed some heavy memory useage programs for example ?

Offline taffy

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 18:03 »
hi again i have 256 ram and os is me this probem has been with me some time. thanks to you all :o

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 18:09 »
Does this message appear randomly, Taffy, or when you use a particular piece of Software?  You may be able to rectify it my adjusting your Virtual Memory, but I'm not sure how to do that in ME, so hopefully someone else can help with that.  :)

Welcome, by the way!   :D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 18:11 »
I would try running Adaware and an Anti virus 1st IMHO, just in case anything is being hogged on the memory side  :)

Hookstar

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 18:13 »
I would have thought that 256 mb on an ME PC would be ok  ???
Has anyone with ME got the info to hand on how to increase the virtual memory ?
What kind of programs are you running when this occurs Taffy, is it when you are playing a game or a graphics program ?

Offline taffy

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 18:14 »
hi simon it happens randomly

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2003, 18:18 »
is it this you want ?

To reserve disk space for extra memory

Open System properties in Control Panel.
Click the Performance tab, and then click Virtual Memory.
Make sure Let Windows manage my virtual memory settings is selected.
 Notes

Another way to open Control Panel is to click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Whenever possible, let Windows manage your computer's virtual memory. Windows chooses the default setting based on the amount of free hard-disk space. The swap file then shrinks and grows dynamically based on actual memory usage.
If you need to specify a different disk or set limits on the minimum or maximum reserved space, click Let me specify my own virtual memory settings, and then enter the new disk in the Hard disk box, or enter values (in kilobytes) in the Minimum or Maximum boxes.
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2003, 18:21 »
P.S

Hi Taffy  :welcome:
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2003, 18:23 »
This from MS Database:

Alter Your Virtual Memory Settings

Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Windows 98, and Windows 95 use virtual memory to augment your computer RAM. Virtual memory is a method of using your hard disk as temporary storage for data that may normally be stored in RAM. By using this method, Windows can provide extra resources that effectively add additional "virtual" memory and extend your computer's capabilities.

WARNING: Although you can alter the virtual memory settings, they are already configured for you by default; do not alter the virtual memory settings unless it is absolutely necessary to do so. Also, before you alter these settings, note the current configuration information so you that can restore the original settings if necessary.

To alter the virtual memory settings:

1. Right-click the My Computer icon on your desktop, and then click Properties.
   2. Click the Performance tab.
   3. Click Virtual Memory, and then click Let me specify my own virtual memory settings.
   4. Click the hard disk that you want to use for virtual memory, and then select the minimum and maximum amounts of virtual memory.
   5. Click OK, click OK, and then restart your computer.

NOTE: If necessary, you can restore the original settings. To do so, repeat steps 1 through 4, but click Let Windows manage my virtual memory settings (Recommended) in step 3.

Might be worth a try, Taffy, but also as Hookstar suggested, check for spyware and / or viruses as well.  Might also be worth checking the Task Manager to see what seems to be hogging your resources.  

If you're not sure what to adjust your VM setting to, as a rough guide, I find that a maximum of 3xRAM seems to work quite well.  I don't think the minimum setting is all that important.

:)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2003, 18:24 »
Well done Michelle, that sounds about right  :)

I found this on Knowledge base too :

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the Win386.swp file located in the Windows folder has its file attributes set to read only. Windows uses the Win386.swp file to create virtual memory.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue:
Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
In the Named box, type win386.swp.
In the Look in box, click Drive C, and then click Find Now.
Right-click the Win386.swp file, click Properties, and then click to clear the Read-only check box.
Click Apply, and then click Close.

Apparently if its set to read only it is fixed and cant use the dynamic as it can do in Michelles solution.

Either one should hopefully cure your problem unless of course your amount of free space on the hard drive that your Win386.swp file is located on has been almost used up  :(

If you can say what size your hard drive/s is/are and how much free space you have this may help us to sort it out for you if the previous answers dont help :doggie:

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2003, 19:13 »
:o   I'm impressed Michelle

You dyed your hair overnight or something ;D
My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum