Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ntl:freedom  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Re:ntl:freedom
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2003, 13:49 »

I wnder why they bother trying to hide such info :)

OK lets use another 'trick'.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/portmon.shtml

Download and run this. Switch on the logging for whatever port your modem is using. Try and connect to the internet.Then post the log here.

I'll tell you now that it may interfere with your internet connection so you will probably want to remove it after doing the capture.

I don't like the sound of that "interfere with my internet connection"  in what way ?  What if I can't connect ?

Eeek if something goes wrong, will it be okay if I just uninstall it again?  

:-\
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2003, 14:08 »
Hold on, I might have the new number now from one of the sites - the only trouble is they are saying that you still can't connect through DUN, that you have to use this new dialer.

So now I just need to find out how to delete that first number in the new dialer.......... I guess I'll have to just keep watching the threads.

Alot of people are sick of it and leaving NTL.

By the way thanks again dack for all your help, you keep sorting me out, don't you

:P  ;)  ;D

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2003, 19:07 »
The software I linked to is just a monitor for serial activity. When you use it (logging) it captures all the messages that are sent to the serial port. A problem can arise on some machines as since it is logging the data then it can slow down the actual communications with the serial port causing dropouts.

Once you uninstall it then all goes back to normal. :)

I fail to see how you cannot just use DUN to access the number - from a few reports I've read all the new dialler does is continually give popups/ads of how great NTL is and tries to get you to upgrade.

By the way thanks again dack for all your help, you keep sorting me out, don't you

I just can't resist a damsel in distress even if their logo looks as though they are using two strange ball shaped objects in the bath that shoot out under extreme pressure ;)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2003, 19:17 »
:pmsl: I changed that sig now didn't I? I had a stomach problem before .... or is it the angels?

Thanks for the explaination Dack. I haven't had any adverts ... but then I have blockers for everything.

If I try and get through on Dun it just takes me to the page to download the up grade ...... there doesn't seem a way round it, but thats not really bothering me, its the time it takes now to get on line if I get cut off ...... Grrrrrr  Or have I mentioned that? :lol:

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2003, 19:22 »
see latest post from nthellworld

I downloaded that 'my vital agent' proggy, discussed earlier in this thread. It did log the phone number for me  So i entered the number in my favourite DUN proggy and it......  worked

:o

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2003, 19:28 »
oh I'll have to have a look then............ why didnt' he post the number ?!?!

thanks dave  :)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2003, 18:43 »
i've got the numbers now, but I still can't get DUN to work. And the new dialer has so many dodgy things with it? Its very odd!

Anyway what I was going to ask is, are you on NTL then Dave ? LOL I sorta missed that.

And is it still working and on what number, if you are.

Just realised it could be since downloading this new dialler that I've had problems!!  >:(

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2003, 18:58 »
IT WORKS !!!!!!!!   ;D  :banana: :banana: :banana:

Now all I gotta do its get rid of the poxy dialler and see if I still have probs.

Thanks everyone again  ;D

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2003, 19:03 »

Anyway what I was going to ask is, are you on NTL then Dave ? LOL I sorta missed that.

hi michelle  ;) not sure if i'm the dave in question but i am on ntl,  BB flavour though.  the whole dialler thing stinks as far as i can see and if it was me i'd make alternative isp arrangments (even though i think ntl as a whole arent bad especially compared with bt.   :o  EDIT glad to see its working

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2003, 19:22 »
Yeah daveeb it was you :-) well I would change but I get such a good deal, I can't face it. £15.00 a month  unlimited access including national calls up to that amount. It suits me so well.

At some point I will get BB so I'll change then, but at the moment I can't justify £30.00 a month. Then plus phone calls.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum