Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: My Mainboard k7s5a motherboard having problems powering up.  (Read 688 times)

Offline sansalem68

• New Registration
the problem is that when I hook up the new power supply (300watt) to the board it immediately slows both the cpu fan as well as the ps fan , and i get nothing on the display.I realize this may involve replacing components but knowing wich are responsible would help,any help is appreiciated....

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:My Mainboard k7s5a motherboard having problems powering u
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 00:50 »
Hi sansalem68 and welcome aboard  :)
Can you expand a little on your problem please ?
When you say "it slows the fans" do you mean compared to the old power supply ?
Why did you change the PSU ?
Is this a new board or an old one ?

Offline sansalem68

• New Registration
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 06:03 »
In more detail here's what my delima is...

when I plug in the power supply to the mainboard and the cpu is not plugged in, the cpu cooling fan will ran at it's normal speed and dosent interfere with the psu's fan. However when I plug in the cpu it dramatically drops in speed. Although I got the board second hand it was previously owned by a close friend who assures me it had worked prior to this problem.
 The power supply was purchased new because the one it came with was only a 230 watt, I was recommended to buy a new one. So is there any way of knowing if this problem is with the cpu or the motherboard or both.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 14:00 »
I dont think that there is anyway to determine whether it is the CPU or the mobo at fault, if either but it does sound like a faulty CPU at this stage.
Something is putting a higher load on the PSU than it should by the looks of it.
You said that its a secondhand board, does that mean that you have installed it in your own case?
If so you havent missed the spacers out and shorted the board to the case ?
If not can you try that CPU in another PC to save you buying one to try in yours  ???

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum