Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Email accounts with outlook  (Read 2629 times)

Offline PhilTheFish

Email accounts with outlook
« on: November 09, 2003, 09:29 »
Hi,

A friend of mine has recently signed up to broadband with BT. She wants to create her email account in Outlook, but doesn't know what goes in the POP3 and SMTP boxes. She tells me that she has asked BT for the information, but they won't give it to her. I am with Freeserve, and server info is 'pop.freeserve.com' and 'SMTP.freeserve.com'.

Does anyone know what the correct settings for BT broadband are??

Phil

Adept

Re:Email accounts with outlook
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 09:44 »
If I remember correctly Phil, BT Broadband doesn't provide any email addresses  :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 09:54 »
If you're looking for a free POP3 email provider, they are now few and far between, but I believe you can get away with it with Yahoo mail.  To get free POP3 access, you have to sign up for the newsletters, but then you have the option of choosing which ones you want, so don't select any!  You then have a free '@yahoo.co.uk' POP3 e-mail account, without the associated spam.

http://edit.europe.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=uk
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 10:04 »
As Adept says, BT Broadband is a "no frills" ISP and does not provide e-mail facilities.  But please check with her that it's not BTOpenworld broadband as the two are often confused.  If it's Openworld which she is using then we can give you the information she requires.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 12:10 »
Hi, Phil.

As Simon says, Yahoo do free pop3, although it is well hidden.  I have one in addition  to my domain addresses, which I use to sign up to "safe" sites such as pc-pals.

First, make sure you go to http://www.yahoo.co.uk and not yahoo.com.  Sign up for a webmail account.  You will then be given a @.co.uk e-mail address.  Sign in to the webmail account, go to Options, and you will see a link to enable you to receive pop3.   Follow the instructions, making sure (as Simon says) to remove ALL the  ticks from the newsletter boxes.  The client settings are:

pop.mail.yahoo.com
smtp.mail.yahoo.com

And make sure the box "My server requires authentication" is ticked under Tools>Accounts>Properties>Server.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 12:20 »
And make sure the box "My server requires authentication" is ticked under Tools>Accounts>Properties>Server.

Why is that, Dave?  I've often wondered what that means!   ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline PhilTheFish

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 14:47 »
cheers fellas. I'll advise her accordingly.

Phil

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 22:12 »

Why is that, Dave?  I've often wondered what that means!   ;D ;D

I haven't a clue why it has to be ticked, Simon.  All I know is that you can't send e-mail with a pop3 Yahoo account until it is ticked.   How do I know?  I always forget to tick it when I set up a Yahoo account, and then I sit there wondering what the problem is. ???

Does anyone else know what it means.

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 22:30 »
Isn't it used to enable CLI (Caller Line Identification)?

Adept

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2003, 16:54 »
Rodders is correct.

When you send mail normally via SMTP, the ISP already knows who you are, as you are connected to their dialup equipment.

With Yahoo, the SMTP server has to know who you are before you are allowed to send mail. Otherwise all and sundry could use the mail server to send out spam etc. (don't they do that anyway  :-\). Therefore you have to send valid authentication (login) details before you are allowed to send mail.

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2003, 22:43 »
Cheers, Rodders and Adept.  Knowing that something has to be done is no substitute for knowing WHY it has to be done.

This site is a pure goldmine of information.  :)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum